Filter media

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all, was looking at getting a bit more flow from my filter. If I remove the black carbon filter sponge and add some media instead I should get a better flow rate.
Any ideas on the sort of media I can use? The tank has been set up and running for nearly 3 years. It's the sponge at the top of the pic, in the filter:
[ame]http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/tenerds/Mobile%20Uploads/BBE33AAB-F068-4A9A-A186-C30065E1AF87_zpsywljonks.jpg[/ame]

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
The image isn't loading, might just be this pc though.
If you want better flow then media with the least resistance is what your after, so a coarse sponge rather than a fine floss etc

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
i can see your pic . I use clay bio-matrix in netted bags from the aquarium store. Some of my filters call for it anyway, but the Marineland calls for sponge cartridges which they recommend replacing monthly--yikes. So i dont bother using them in the Marineland , i use 1 small sponge, and mostly bags of clay bio-matrix in netted bags in the open areas. I get an excellent flow in all my HOB's . When the flow is not so strong, time to clean the filter. Easy and works well. HTH