diamond tetras

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
saw some great looking fish in the aq store recently,called diamond tetras,looks like they have silver glitter on them, would love to have them, read up some, but would like members opinions . How would they get along with harlequin raspboras , some celebes? (sp) I picked up 7 of these, and a few dwarf rainbows ? I loved how they look and with the black backround and gravel , they would look awesome in the 54g, just wondering if anyone has experience with them..tail nippers ,etc? Any info highly appreciated.
Was thinking about 6 if they are a good fit.

thanks, Georgie

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Don't have any experience but love them as well. Always wanted a few in my tank. They are pretty peaceful, I've never heard of any problems. They get onthe larger size as most common tetras go. Shouldn't be a problem though.
On the other hand, most rainbows tend to come from areas with higher ph and hardness, some can even take some salt. I've had Celebes in the past in a community tank without any issues though.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks LorneK, guess i know what my next purchase will be :D
they really are beauties ,first time i caught sight of sight of them I hoped they would be great for the main tank .
Yes, i know about the ph, and i since i always had a prob with it dropping daily, and got fed up with stuffing coral chips in a bag every 2 weeks, I decided to try a cup of chiclid gravel in the tanks, and it is keeping it stable, with wood , wow, but i need to work on getting it down , hence the celebes purchase, I liked the look , want schooling fish and the ph atm is perfect for them.. once i get it down i can get the diamonds. Did want to keep it Amazon, but decided they would be a good fit and dug um and I love rainbows anyway, so couldnt NOT replace the blue dwarfs i lost... thanks , your advice has made my day :)

Georgie

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Finally found it. If you look at Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine, January 2010 number 5 #646 there is an article on the Diamond Tetras. Maybe you can get onto their web page www.tfhmagazine.com and chase it up. I have not kept them but they look like stunners. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Thanks jk, for doing the research, very kind of you:thumbup:. Yes, I found it, great article , highly informative and did not realize they are nearly extinct in the wild.
The habitat info was also very interesting and helpful.

I think these guys will be a great fit for the 54g !

Georgie