concerned :(

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
I've got this sinking feeling that my big fella is not long for this world. I hope I'm wrong, but....

he hasn't moved all day, he's tail is partly buried and he's hiding at the back of the tank. I just took some pics and he didn't move, but tapping on the glass he just raises his dorsal fin then drops it back down.

I'm going to try and stir him soon, just put the kids to bed first, then i'll dig out his tail and see. any thoughts?

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Don't know how old he is....picked him from the lfs 5 maybe 6 months ago. Guessing he'd be quite old in pleco years considering his size. I've never seen one this big.

Can't tell with his breathing due to where he is in the tank. Just looking around for a net or something (I can't reach the bottom of the tank lol)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Is he still eating?

The water params are ok? enough oxygen being circulated etc etc

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
seems he might just have been stuck :huh:

plenty of oxygen in there, filtrations etc.

Unburied his tail and he just put all his fins up , then sank back down and sat there, kinda had me thinking yep he's not going to make it, but a few mins later he just swam around the tank. I will have to get the video camera out and tape him for you.

So question.....if a plec gets their tail buried....is it possible for them to get free?

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I suppose it would be possible but would have to be pretty buried i guess.

Maybe he was just quite happy sat where he was

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
dunno, looking at where he was, there is a mound of gravel where his tail was. It's hard to explain, but there is a clay log about 2inches off the back wall. His tail was in that 2inch gap. now he's moved there is still atleast 3inches high of gravel there.
Maybe this will teach mark to keep his cichlids out of the big fella's tank.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
he got buried by the fronts (which mark keeps on putting back in there..grrrrrr) When the fronts breed they clear out the gravel to lay their eggs on the glass bottom of the tank, and well when they were clearing room they just covered the plec. It's strange how he just sat there and let them do it. Doesn't appear to be any damage although he's not eating very well and is very stressed looking at the moment.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
he's ok, still very stressed coloration. But swimming, eating and pooping fine. SO guess all is well with him. Dunno what it was, maybe he was just having an off day :dk:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hopefully thats it, but keep an eye on him.

My common had a funny few day, kept swimming up and down the side of tank, almost non stop, rubbed his nose sore too, but he is ok now, was weird.