C89 spawning vid

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Really cool Vid Gemma

That female is huge, Do you do anything to trigger them into spawning?

Cheers

thegeenius
That was the first and last time I've caught them breeding, I believe it was triggered by being moved into a new tank, a method I've heard of a lot of people using to trigger them to spawn. Move them into a new tank, do a cool waterchange, this is supposed to be a very good method but I don't have the tanks to play around with my corys so most just spawn in their community tanks and I save whatever eggs I can. There is also a group of napoensis in this tank that are regular spawners.

Cheers
Gemma.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
save whatever eggs I can. .

Cheers
Gemma.
Can you tell me your method of saving and hatching the fry?. I have had loads of spawns and have to remove the eggs otherwise the hypans munch them. I use a round container with a airstone. The majority of eggs fungus in a day or so.

Cheers

thegeeman

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Can you tell me your method of saving and hatching the fry?. I have had loads of spawns and have to remove the eggs otherwise the hypans munch them. I use a round container with a airstone. The majority of eggs fungus in a day or so.

Cheers

thegeeman
I use the same method as you but I try to stick the eggs to the side of the tubs, they always appear to do better then those that have dropped to the bottom, possibly due to bacteria build up. I use a small paintbrush to clean the sides and bottom and change the water at least twice daily. A lot of the time I don't have an airstone and they turn out fine. I know people use alder cones to prevent fungus, I only used them once and the eggs tuned to mush. I've a group of albino paleatus that spawn every couple of days, the eggs either fungus or the fry die within a day or so, I've another batch of eggs that I've left in the tank for the last 2 days, I'll leave these as long as possible and see if I have any more success.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Great Vid, thanks again, lol she was a fatty.

I know people have done it since forever but is it really ok to still use meth blue?
I have heard mixed info concerning the use, we know it does affect filter bacteria, but at the end of the day its still a chemical that could possibly be damaging long term:dk:
Would be cool to know what you guys think or have any further info

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I think that it's ok as long as the solution is diluted right down before the fry hatch. Going on what I've read it's supposed to be safe but I tend to avoid using anything at all in my hatching tubs.
I've seen you can now buy bottled alder cone extract which is a natural treatment, I'd perhaps favour this than the just throwing a cone in but I haven't tried it yet.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I've seen you can now buy bottled alder cone extract which is a natural treatment, I'd perhaps favour this than the just throwing a cone in but I haven't tried it yet.
sounds more appealing than meth blue, Ill have a look into that see what info I can find out:clap:

Thanks.