buenos aires tetra fry i think ?

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
Ok this is a new one for me :dk:

I woke up this morning and excitedly looked in my 240l bristlenose tank to hopefully see more bn fry come out from daddys cave :yes:

I saw fry but only one bn and around 20-30 very small, see through, free swimming fry ???
I can only assume they are buenos aires tetras as they were the only other inhabitants of the tank up until about 4 days ago, the tetras were rehomed back with their original owner because me and bubbles watched in horror as one of the tetras ate a live 1 month old bn baby :cry: this was the first and only time we had seen this and obviously could not have them in there anymore.

i'm now wondering what to feed the little things and should i try and catch them and put them in a fry saver or just let nature take its course :dk:?

they will not be eaten in the main tank as it only has our bns in.

I'm obviously so good at this breeding business i can do it without even knowing :lol::lol:

I was trying to take a photo but they are so small i cant get my iphone to capture them will try to get a pic if and when they get a bit bigger

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I used tetramin babyfood before or if you have flake food, crush it into very small bits. If there isnt a threat to them then I would leave them as they are

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
They are a tetra that does breed fairly easily. I had them years and years ago, and as soon as they got quite big they used to spawn all the time. I'm pretty sure you are seeing the fry now because you've removed the parents, otherwise they just eat the eggs and fry. People often don't realise that their tetras are spawning, but when I've kept Black Neons or Lemon Tetras they've spawned fairly continuously.

I tried to feed the fry unsuccessfully on egg yolk, but it was a long time ago and the range of food you could get then was pretty limited. Now I'd try them on micro-worms or vinegar eels, crushed flake and de-capsulated Brine shrimp "eggs".

They also like a bit of veg in their diet, so you could try some green water/boiled spinach as well. With the spinach I'd strain it in a fine aquarium net and collect the "green water" that goes through the net.

If you haven't got anything else suitable to feed, filter mulm is a good source of rotifers etc. and will probably keep some of them alive until they can eat crushed flake. I just swirl the mulm in a beaker with some water and then pipette out the liquid from the central vortex, just above where the mulm has collected.

<http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Hyphessobrycon&species=anisitsi&id=532>

cheers Darrel