Adult Zebra Plecs - a couple of queries if thats OK

Kirstos

Jul 17, 2014
UK
Hi everyone

I have been reading threads on this forum for along time but this is my first post. I have two groups of zebra plecs, a group of 5 captive bred juveniles which I have had since March and I have just purchased a group of 5 large wild caught zebs from Pier Aquatics. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind.

For the adults, are there any particular foods you guys recommend (Im from the UK)? I currently feed the juveniles Hikari carnivore pellets, Tetra Prima, New Era Plec pellets, Aquaone Discus bits along with some frozen food. Will that be adequate for the adults as well or should I supplement with some other foods too?

What size tank would you recommend for the new group of five adults? I was planning on it being just them or with a small group of cardinals or such like for some colour that wont bother the plecs but can stand the temperature. I have sand, wood and slate ready for the tank once they are finished in QT. Would cardinals eat fry? I wont include any if its a problem in any way. The tank that the juveniles are in have no tankmates.

Also, I know that the zebras like a good current and lots of dissolved oxygen, would a powerful filter be enough for them or should I supplement with a power head?

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate all your time and responses :thumbup:

Thanks

Kirsty

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello Kirsty,

For the tank set up, use sand, caves, slate, driftwood and an airstone. They like current. I would add either cardinal or rummynose tetras, they can tolerate warmer tank temperatures. Feeding sound good what you are offering. I would also keep as L046 tank for themselves and no others just tank for them. Tank size I would go for 3-4 foot, but they do say, buy the tank that you can afford IE buy a 4 or 5 foot if that is what you can afford, if you cant then go for 3ft. It is better to buy large early than large later and change everything for the fish set up, removal, remodelling etc, it upsets them. I hope this might help you. cheers jk :thumbup: PS Send us a photo when you have completed your set up.

Kirstos

Jul 17, 2014
UK
Hi there

Thanks for the helpful response :)

Glad to read your comments are what I was thinking. I ill def post a pic when it is ready :D