a trick for feeding tricky fry

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I went through a prolonged period where i couldn't get my whiptail fry to survive.
They used to thrive in their old tank, but only when it was the right time of year and the tank used to get some direct sunlight.
In the absence of the sunlight, there wasn't enough algae for the fry to feed on so they just used to starve to death.
Now since being in the fish room, with no windows at all, i had to think of something else, so i decided to make up some food for the fry.
I purchased 500g of pure spirulina powder, 250g of Agar agar and 250g of powdered egg yolk.

I normally use just the spirulina and the agar, but if i have another batch of fry just hatched, i will add some egg yolk powder too.
I mix 2 parts spirulina to 1 part agar (and 1 part egg yolk if i'm using it)
its easy to make up and use, and works a treat.
Simply add the mixture to a cup with a splash of boiling water, mix to a runny pulp, then rub into a piece of slate, i use the old off cuts from caves i used to make.

the ingredients

Spirulina powder

Agar agar

Egg yolk powder

this amount of mix was enough for me to cover around 35 medium sized bits of slate (6"x2"), so you really only need to use tiny amounts

I then stick them all in the freezer to set properly, then stick one in the tank when its feeding time, my whips now get through 2 or 3 of these slates each day.

and heres one that they have stripped already

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
super stuff. I dont have baby whiptails but i have tried this, just spread on stones and the young BNs love it (as well as the endlers and shrimps -lol).
I bought the powder from ebay.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
it should be good for all fry really, my L340 love it too.
the great thing about the spirulina is that it is 65% protein without any of the fat that comes with most high protein foods

lnb

Jan 8, 2011
Australia Tweed Heads
I may have been lucky,I raised whiptail fry 100% survival by having them in a small tank in front of the window so there was algea growth on the glass and would drop an algea waffer in.They grew quickly,when a bit larger and able to manage I chopped up bloodworm,simply did small daily water changes.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It is an old idea but its good to be able to read it, especially new members who don't know. Was thinking it should go in the feeding article forum as well?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Thanks

Hi there
Just wanted to say thank-you for writing this post.
Have now tried and teated this and my baby bn's loved it¡
I spread the mixture over slices of potato - two foods in one and they are loving it.
One word of caution- it blinking stinks¡ Lol invest in a mask or a bucket!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
I got all mine from ebay and was posted and recived in two days- very easy. Used the cheapest seller aswell.

J

jamous91

My in total was £20 and got it from a herbal and whole food store in york