Breeding L66

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Hi all,

I started reading the breeding logs. Great stuff and really nice pictures :clap:
I wondered if I could add some of my experience to the log but saw that most of my plecs were covered here already. However there were no logs of the beautiful King Tiger so here comes my story :D

2 years ago I started the breeding setup for my L66's. I started out with 12 specimens, all wild caught adults. I left them all together for the first months until they spawned ones. After the first spawn they didn't continue. So I separated the group until I was left with the dominant breeding male, one subdominant male (for healthy competition) and the 2 breeding females.

Here a picture of the four selected fish

I gave them a tank of 60cm by 40cm by 40cm but due to the way I run my fish house they have a water flow of around 2000 liters filtered by a biological filtersystem. I also added a nitrate filter into the system.
Some parameters:
PH 7,1
KH 3
NO2 0
NO3 <5
Microsiemens 200-300
That would be just normal tap water here, no additions of RO water.
Temperature is 28-30 degrees. Maintenance is done every day (or every other day) and water changes are done up to 100% during the week.

Selecting this group was the right thing, they started spawning after a few days and never stopped doing so until I separated them last december. Just to give them a break, as they didn't seem to be stopping out of themselves.... They gave me around 50 fry each spawn and spawned every 4-6 weeks! I put them back together last week and 3 days ago I welcomed my next fry again. This time from the other male.

Here are some pictures, enjoy

First spawn

Nice and spiky dad

5 Days old

8 Days old

9 Days old

10 Days old

11 Days old

Free swimming and eating well

Female in cave, outside lots of fry

Time to collect them and bring them over to a grow on tank, these fry are from 2 spawns

Mixed ages in growing on tank together

Here is one of the first spawn. I kept them because they were my first fry

Hope you liked it :)

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
what a fantastic collection of information and photos!! really great aswell because i am thinking of breeding there in the near future. Any chance of a full tank shoot? Cheers cole