Type of wood for plecos? (do they eat sumatra driftwood?)

J

jamous91

I just have any wood i can get from the local fish shop i think it is bogwood but they love it - if tht is any help

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
For wood eaters, Mopani is too hard & can cause issues in the long term with tooth wear. For most others it doesn't really matter that much as most don't actually eat the wood.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
For wood eaters, Mopani is too hard & can cause issues in the long term with tooth wear. For most others it doesn't really matter that much as most don't actually eat the wood.
^ This

The question only really applies to Panaque.

Mopani is very very hard, I had a mix of this and 'regular' driftwood with no issues for my Panaque.

jacksonsjones

Jul 5, 2010
Sydney
Hey Qba,
Malaysian/sumatra drift wood will be fine. I have them with my royals and they just grind it away.
I also have a large piece of wood which was bought from a local aquarium, but it had been sun bleached. I thought it had been extracted from the ocean, as it had remains of small mussells growing off. I soaked the wood in case it was from the ocean and lets just say that it is one of my Panaques favourite.
I guess as long as it is not too hard and well treated it should be fine, at least that is what I have found.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In have mopani in with my Panaque but when they have softer woods in with them the mopani is just ignored. They do rasp from time to time on it but mostly to eat whatever has fallen on it.
The mopani is mostly used as decor.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

I agree that the Mopani is way to hard. I can only suggest to you what I do.
I walk the beaches get driftwood that has been bleached by the sea r go for a walk through the Australian bush and get termite infested logs or branches. ( find that these the Ls love as it is a softer wood). I have a large 150liter drum outside with water conditioner. I wash these pieces then place in this drum outside for 14days or so and every now and then add new treated water. I however am under the impression that some european pieces of wood are not suitable to use so check this before harnd. Cheers jk :thumbup: