Thinking of buying an RO System

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am thinking of Buying an RO unit but wanted to understand how to use them first.

Do You just run tap water through the unit into say a water butt and use the water for water changes or does the water need to be treated/have certain elements buffered back up?

If re-buffering is required how do you know much and of what to add to the filtered water, Alternatively do some people mix ro with tap water in a water butt?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as the confusion over this point is all that has stopped me going for an ro system in the past and I get the general feeling that RO water is better for the plecs as I think in my area the Ph from the tap is fairly high if I remember rightly about 7.6 - 7.8.

Thanks

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I do belive a supper post on RO will be made on this site quite soon
:woohoo::woohoo::clap::clap::whistle::whistle::lol::lol::thumbup::thumbup:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
whilst waiting for bob to pull his finger out, i believe most people use a mix of RO and tap water, varying the amount of which ever one to get to the required parameters

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I have actually fixed mine now so the RO waste feeds back through the HMA unit. I know Bob reckons its not possible but it is. The lowest my TDS will come out now is 225 but thats alot better than my tap water at 480 +.

Cheers

thegeeman

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
I have actually fixed mine now so the RO waste feeds back through the HMA unit. I know Bob reckons its not possible but it is. The lowest my TDS will come out now is 225 but thats alot better than my tap water at 480 +.

Cheers

thegeeman

Hi I am not saying it impossible just your get a rather hi TDS I am quite amazed you got it this low.
It is all due to changing the back pressure this controls the flow rate thus the TDS.
It is some thing I would never do but that is just because I am a bit worried about stuffing things up.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
whilst waiting for bob to pull his finger out, i believe most people use a mix of RO and tap water, varying the amount of which ever one to get to the required parameters
Finger is out mate I do think it is now up some thing else

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
Great read thanks Bob.

How are we to know what TDS is right? what I mean is should it differ for certain plecs or is there a certain level that is about right for breeding most l numbers?

As if we know what region we need to be in in relation to tds I am guessing it is trial and error based upon the mix of tap water with ro i.e. once you about how much to mix this should be about the amount required everytime unless the tap water suddenly changes dramatically.

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
Also,

By mixing ro and tapwater to get the desired tds will this not also result in the ph varying quite a bit per water change?

As even if being very careful surely you cant mix the exact same amount of tap water to ro water at every water change? so surely any slight difference would potentially cause a difference in the ph which could cause problems in the tank for the plecs? I am guessing a little here to try to get a full understanding.

Thanks

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Also,

By mixing ro and tapwater to get the desired tds will this not also result in the ph varying quite a bit per water change?

As even if being very careful surely you cant mix the exact same amount of tap water to ro water at every water change? so surely any slight difference would potentially cause a difference in the ph which could cause problems in the tank for the plecs? I am guessing a little here to try to get a full understanding.

Thanks

This is why I use HMA and use a needle valve to mix it

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Yeap. I dont add anything back to the water at all. I just adjust the flow control on the outlet of the HMA which then mixes with the neat RO.

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited: