need a good internal filter

toddy123

Nov 4, 2010
kent
hi im looking at setting up a few tanks on some racking the 4 tanks i have is 30inch long 15inch high and 12inch deep the thing is im stuck on what internal filters to use on them 3 of the tanks i want to use to breed hypans and im not sure on the 4th yet any help would be great full

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I like the Eheim Aquaballs as well (haven't tried a Eheim biopower yet), but if you don't mind a bit of DIY its difficult to do better than a "Maxijet 400/600/900" powerhead and 12" x 4" x 4" ppi10 "Koi" sponge, cut into 3 (4" x 4" x 4") cubes, with a plain white ceramic tile siliconed to the bottom section.

I've drilled cut outs some white domestic waste pipe in 4", 8", 12" lengths, with the end siliconed to a tile (as the inserts) but you can buy these ready made, or just tie the top and bottom of with a cable tie. The Maxijets come with a strainer attachment you can use as a scaffold.

cheers Darrel

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Hi all,
I like the Eheim Aquaballs as well (haven't tried a Eheim biopower yet), but if you don't mind a bit of DIY its difficult to do better than a "Maxijet 400/600/900" powerhead and 12" x 4" x 4" ppi10 "Koi" sponge, cut into 3 (4" x 4" x 4") cubes, with a plain white ceramic tile siliconed to the bottom section.

I've drilled cut outs some white domestic waste pipe in 4", 8", 12" lengths, with the end siliconed to a tile (as the inserts) but you can buy these ready made, or just tie the top and bottom of with a cable tie. The Maxijets come with a strainer attachment you can use as a scaffold.

cheers Darrel
I just use these with a powerhead on top, the nice thing I find is they are stackable so you can get greater surface area and flow.

toddy123

Nov 4, 2010
kent
cheers for all your opinions guys but im gone to go with the new eheim aquaballs they seem best for what i need