Breeding log For L410

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
On one of my many travels to obtain fish I came across a LFS with a rather large tank marked Plecs £25 each.
I looked I saw I fainted it was full of Hypans from L262 to odd balls I could not ID.
I brought the ruddy lot. I got a discount of £5 per fish for buying the lot
Went home with 8 fish of varying specis.

On the way home I popped an address in to the Sat Nav for my final stop.
On examining the LFS tanks I noticed fish marked as “Imperial King Tigersâ€
I asked the sales assistant if he knew the catch location.
His reply was What Fugging difference will it make? Are you going to fugging buy them?

Oh yes I said I will have them all at £25 each.
“I will do them for £20 each thenâ€
Walked out with 5 L174, s 3 females and 2 males (sold them for over £200)

But on to the L410 among the mixed Hypans were 3 fish that looked like L400 but were slightly different.

I have decided on L410 until some one can say different after all Hypans are a mine field.

They went in to an 18†cube and settled down.

3 weeks later I had eggs and a male fanning like crazy. I thought as it must be his first spawn I will just let him get on with it. Next day eggs out of the cave and the second female in the cave trapped with the male quivering like crazy.

I guessed it was a case of sex being better than carrying for the eggs.

The problem was two females were going to be fertile at around the same time.
This is a biological fact for all vertebrates the females if living in close proximity will ovulate at the same time. The reason is to ensure maximum reproduction.

If you don’t believe me check out any group of young women i.e. students living together ECT the ovulation will become synchronised quit quickly.

I then separated the females and moved the male from tank to tank with the result that he started to get better at caring for the eggs he is now back with the two females again and no problems.

With the eggs I tried a fry saver but lost the eggs in fact separating the fry at any stage before free swimming was a disaster with a total 100% loss of fry. I now let the fry become free swimming and move them at around 8 weeks to a grow on tank.

Conditions were
Temp 28 c
Kh 5
Ph 7
Water flow
Fast
Eheim 2324
And
Eheim Aquaball power head running a spray bar across the cave mouth.

Conditioning on froze food
Fry feed on crushed flake
Substrate
Mixed gravel, pebbles and sand bed
Decoration
4 clay caves I always add one cave over the amount of fish
Lots of bog wood I mean lots
I would add 2 large Almond leaves every 2 or 3 weeks.
Water changes were RO HMA mix at a TDS of 180 to 200 every 2 or 3 days total of 10% of the tank volume. The water was unheated and every few days I would use neat RO for a water change. Dropping the temp to lower than 24 c, this seems to coincide with some of the spawns.

Click on thumbs for larger image
_BOB7503.JPG

_BOB7532.JPG

DSC_2213.JPG

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I would be quite happy if any one has an ID for this fish

I did think L400 at one point but tail and head are just not right.
Poss L 399?