Breeding log for L002

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Over a couple of years ago I acquired from Mr G a small group of what were possibly L002.

Over the next year I added 4 separate fish creating a group of 6 females and one male.
I held out little hope for this group to breed as they balance was just one male.

I placed them in a 2foot cube tank and awaited activity.
At first the male showed breeding behaviour fanning in an oak cave, but no eggs after around 6 months I risked a pep in the cave and it was full of eggs not just eggs but also wrigglers and free swimming fry.
From that point he never stopped it seemed a queue of females were constantly awaiting his services.
I decided to rear the fry outside of the cave so gently I removed the cave and emptied the contents in to a fry saver every week yes honestly every week I had 20 or more fry!

The fry grew quite fast on a diet of crushed flake and Sera Wood chip tablets.
Once they were free swimming and about 3 weeks old they were distributed around the other tanks in my fish house. Happily growing to around 1†in 16 weeks,

I am still finding L002 in tanks now despite selling the group over a year ago.

All spawn’s were in the one oak cave, I would remove the male for a week or two every 6 weeks so he could eat. His condition on being removed was quite amazing if I saw a fish in that bad shape I would assault the owner for mistreating, he had basically no fins a sunken belly and sunken eyes. He would recover in around 10 days and then start fanning again.
When sold he was fanning in the bag he went off in. This male would in human terms be Errol Flynn. X 10.

Conditions were
Temp 29 c
Kh 5
Ph 7
Water flow
Fast
Eheim 2128
And
Eheim power head running a spray bar across the cave mouth.

Substrate
mixed gravel and sand bed
Decoration
Lots of bog wood I mean lots
I would add 2 large Almond leaves every 2 or 3 weeks.
Water changes were RO HMA mix at a TDS of 180 to 200 every 2 or 3 days total of 10% of the tank volume. The water was unheated and every few days I would use neat RO for a water change. Dropping the temp to fewer than 24 c, this seems to coincide with some of the spawns.

Fry
DSC_1536.JPG

DSC_1537.JPG

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Over a couple of years ago I acquired from Mr G a small group of what were possibly L002.

Over the next year I added 4 separate fish creating a group of 6 females and one male.
I held out little hope for this group to breed as they balance was just one male.

I placed them in a 2foot cube tank and awaited activity.
At first the male showed breeding behaviour fanning in an oak cave, but no eggs after around 6 months I risked a pep in the cave and it was full of eggs not just eggs but also wrigglers and free swimming fry.
From that point he never stopped it seemed a queue of females were constantly awaiting his services.
I decided to rear the fry outside of the cave so gently I removed the cave and emptied the contents in to a fry saver every week yes honestly every week I had 20 or more fry!

The fry grew quite fast on a diet of crushed flake and Sera Wood chip tablets.
Once they were free swimming and about 3 weeks old they were distributed around the other tanks in my fish house. Happily growing to around 1†in 16 weeks,

I am still finding L002 in tanks now despite selling the group over a year ago.

All spawn’s were in the one oak cave, I would remove the male for a week or two every 6 weeks so he could eat. His condition on being removed was quite amazing if I saw a fish in that bad shape I would assault the owner for mistreating, he had basically no fins a sunken belly and sunken eyes. He would recover in around 10 days and then start fanning again.
When sold he was fanning in the bag he went off in. This male would in human terms be Errol Flynn. X 10.

Conditions were
Temp 29 c
Kh 5
Ph 7
Water flow
Fast
Eheim 2128
And
Eheim power head running a spray bar across the cave mouth.

Substrate
mixed gravel and sand bed
Decoration
Lots of bog wood I mean lots
I would add 2 large Almond leaves every 2 or 3 weeks.
Water changes were RO HMA mix at a TDS of 180 to 200 every 2 or 3 days total of 10% of the tank volume. The water was unheated and every few days I would use neat RO for a water change. Dropping the temp to fewer than 24 c, this seems to coincide with some of the spawns.

Fry
View attachment 1870

View attachment 1871

View attachment 1872
Lovely write up mate. Shame about the suggestion of assualt. :lol:

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
Great write up,

I must add the male is in his cave now fanning like he was in the bag when i re homed them :lol::lol::lol:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Lovely write up mate. Shame about the suggestion of assualt. :lol:
What we fail to understand is that Humans are the only organism that treats killing as a crime the rest of nature treat not killing as the crime.

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
What we fail to understand is that Humans are the only organism that treats killing as a crime the rest of nature treat not killing as the crime.
That really has no relivance to suggesting you would assault someone. But i guessed you were probably joking anyway so bit pointless to carry on with this debate haha

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
That really has no relivance to suggesting you would assault someone. But i guessed you were probably joking anyway so bit pointless to carry on with this debate haha

Me Joke??
Every statement is totally true
I was just stating that my true aims in life are sadly controlled by a system that is biologically suicidal and doomed to total destruction by the laws of nature.

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Me Joke??
Every statement is totally true
I was just stating that my true aims in life are sadly controlled by a system that is biologically suicidal and doomed to total destruction by the laws of nature.
Cant help feeling your going away from what you typed.
So your saying if you seen a fish mistreated then you would assault the owner of the fish? Because thats what you wrote! Thats ridiculous.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Cant help feeling your going away from what you typed.
So your saying if you seen a fish mistreated then you would assault the owner of the fish? Because thats what you wrote! Thats ridiculous.
In a nut shell yes.
I would first try to reason then should I feel they will only respond to direct action I would take it, not only fish all living things .I belive firmly that only defence is a reason for mistreatment. the sinner needs to be punished.

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
In a nut shell yes.
I would first try to reason then should I feel they will only respond to direct action I would take it, not only fish all living things .I belive firmly that only defence is a reason for mistreatment. the sinner needs to be punished.
Surely theres a point when you would realise it is actually none of your business and that you should report the keeper for mistreatment rather than commit a crime and assault a person. Who on one hand might be totally oblivious to what his/her actions have caused for the animal? Because if everyone is honest they have been guilty of it in the past, Whether that be placing a fish in with a different fish and it has been bullied. Or not giving a fish your 100% attention and the fish decides for some reason to stop eating.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Surely theres a point when you would realise it is actually none of your business and that you should report the keeper for mistreatment rather than commit a crime and assault a person. Who on one hand might be totally oblivious to what his/her actions have caused for the animal? Because if everyone is honest they have been guilty of it in the past, Whether that be placing a fish in with a different fish and it has been bullied. Or not giving a fish your 100% attention and the fish decides for some reason to stop eating.
Totaly agree