staghorn again!!!

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
As its my plant holding tank, I only have 10 ottos and 6 yamato shrimps (the cleaning crew)
I did have a couple of rustys to help with my algae probs, but they had to be swifty removed once they cleaned up...They found the plants rather tasty!

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well i think my tank is playing tricks on me now....all but 2 leaves are now clear from staghorn :dk:
im wondering if it is staghorn,does BBA grow on plants??
i think some of wots left might be BBA.
BEST PIC I CAN GET:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
BBA will grow on plants leaves as well, but usually as little dark tufts, and on the flat piece of the leaf rather than the edges. This looks too coarse for BBA, which is really fine and silky (below).

If it is Stagshorn it has really tough threads. I think yours probably is Stagshorn, but it might be a filamentous green algae, if you have a look under a magnifying glass, it won't appear green if it's a Stagshorn, but it will if its Cladophora, Rhizoclonium or Oedogonium.

Have a look here: <http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/2006/03/staghorn-algae.html>

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Just read that and then looked at the tank. There's 3 manky looking leaves on one of my plants, thay will be removed ASAP.they might be why I'm getting staghorn again.