A brief guide to breeding L134s

psionic001

Jul 2, 2009
Sydney
To my surprise I stumbled across a huge abundance of information on caring for and breeding plecos when I found plecofanatics.com in 2006. I had kept bristlenose in a community tank when I was a kid but this was another whole level above the information that was available to me as a kid 22 years before. A new world of fish keeping was now at my fingertips and I spent the next 2 months reading almost every post there was on breeding and caring for plecos. Before the internet I would have been lucky to find a book with a handful of pages on breeding bristlenose, but now I was in contact with hundreds of people, breeding hundreds of different types of plecos, all over the world. This was great.

What an amazing looking fish is the L134. It was love at first sight, and when I discovered that they could be bred in captivity, I started to look for my first colony.

On December 12th 2006 I purchased 7 L134s from a bloke who had them in a large and deep 8 foot tank. I collected them from his house and when I first saw them I was surprised as they were the biggest fattest L134s I’d ever seen. They were so fat that when they rested on the bottom of the tank they teetered on their bellies.

On the December 30th 2006 I started up the breeding tank with the aim of having a spawn in no time at all. Boy was I mistaken.

After having read so much I thought it would be a cinch. Just give them optimum conditions and they will breed. I’d read everything there was to read, including the translations from a number of german articles, so how hard could this be?.

Here’s what I did... I initially set them up in a bare bottom tank with a few D shaped caves and some Anubis planted on driftwood. I dutifully supplied them with water changes every second day, and RO water when required (to simulate a rainy season). I fed them well and monitored the tank parameters obsessively. I even kept an excel spreadsheet of daily variables for Temp, TDS, Water change amount, RO water, PH, Black Water Extract (an additive) and even what I fed them each day.

And the wait began....... And I waited and waited.... And waited some more.... Still dutifully obsessing over my fish....

I added river rocks.... 3 months later I removed them.
The tank needed substrate.... then I removed it too.
The caves needed to be changed so I tried different shapes. I built slate caves and cut bamboo caves...
Plants..... was I using the wrong plants? Should they have plants at all?
Music? Believe it or not I played them a thunderstorm soundtrack...
I covered the tank with towels and kept the lights off. I put the lights on timers.
I tried rainy season after rainy season. Long ones, short ones, soft ones, big floods and cold rivers, no flow and high flow.
Power heads on, power heads off. Lights on, lights off
Heaters on heaters off.
And on and on and on it went.....
I tried everything!!!!!

And guess what happened after more than 12 months of work work work?..... NOTHING..... Arghhhhhh....

So herein lies the key to how I managed to spawn my L134s..... I gave up (well not completely, but mostly), and in doing so, I gave my fish the rest and peace they need.

I stopped the daily or weekly water change, I stopped using RO water, I stopped testing for ammo, nitrates, nitrites and the like. I fed them mostly Hikari algae wafers and only occasionally some frozen foods. I stopped obsessing.

And guess what happened? In February 2008 after just 3 or 4 weeks of leaving my fish alone I noticed that one of the males was vigorously fanning his tail at the entrance of the cave. I grabbed a torch and had a peek and there was a very agitated L134 sitting on a bunch of eggs. Over the next 5 months I had another 4 or 5 spawns about a month apart for each. I could tell you what the water parameters were at the time, TDS 100ppm, Temp 27°C, PH 6.5, but I really don’t think that the parameters are too important.

What is clearly important to me, is that the fish need some time to themselves and the less interference with the tank the better.

So here’s a brief guide to breeding L134s and the parameters that my tank had during most of these spawns.
Temp about 27°C, TDS about 100PPM, PH 6.5
Keep lights off.
Feed lots for a week.
Do a 30% water change
And leave them alone.

If nothing happens, then feed them lots for 3 weeks, then do a 30% water change and leave them alone.

Hope this helps those who are trying to breed these fish. Be patient and give your fish the space they need.

Next lesson, “Don’t shine torches in cavesâ€

Any questions, just ask.

best

Matt

Introducing the L134 to their tank on day one.
I used some silicone airline to slowly drip tank water and acclimatise them.

Big fat L134s

Trying different caves

This young fry had a problem with its yolk sac. It later died as the sac kept expanding.
It’s the only fry that has died after leaving the care of the father.

A sibling of the fry above. This one has just absorbed the yolk sac.

Juveniles at about 6-8 weeks

Juveniles 9-10 months old

Female L134 with nice patterns.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i have found that out with some species...

you hammer the food and the waterchanges and then let them be for a week with normal feedings....

others just daily waterchanges 7 days a week....

but i leave the lighting on... simulates the natural day/night cycle

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Leave them alone seems true of quite a few plecs. Great Log and photos, thanks:D

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Great Log psionic001 im currently trying to breed the L134s ive had a batch of eggs so far that got eaten :( but im going to try and leave them alone for a while and fingers crossed ill get the same result as yourself, thanks for sharing

psionic001

Jul 2, 2009
Sydney
Hi Rob,

There are many explanations for fathers eating eggs.

A number of my batches have been eaten too and it was generally the same male that did it. So he was just an egg eater, and if it happens a second time you should consider separating him from the eggs and raise them in a tumbler or fry saver.

Have you been looking in the cave with the torch? That freaks them out.

Also, sometimes the eggs get kicked out, so you could raise the entrance of the cave by 1cm so they are less likely to roll out.

I have also seen a lot of breeders tell of inexperienced or first time dads eating eggs, so the second spawn may work.

And lastly, if the above are not the cause then maybe you could look at environmental factors. Are any of your water parameters way off scale? Is the tank in a busy area?

HTH

Matt

Great Log psionic001 im currently trying to breed the L134s ive had a batch of eggs so far that got eaten :( but im going to try and leave them alone for a while and fingers crossed ill get the same result as yourself, thanks for sharing

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Hi Matt, well ive only owend the 134s for 6 months now, they are wild caught and i have 2 males and 5 females. The tank is in my bedroom so id say yes it is in a busy ish area i do cover the tank with a towel though distubance is to a minimum feeding and waterchanges only.
They bred while i was at work when i came home i was all set to do a water change as i looked into the tank i could see what apeard to be plastic! A closer inspection of the item was to my delight but also disapointment egg caseings, there were around 20 id say iand lots of yellow chunks dotted around the tank, i managed to save 6 of the eggs but they fungused over within 24hrs i had them in a fry saver with a powerhead directed at it, i should of put them in there own tank like i do with the cory eggs!
I do have the caves slightly pointing upwards and there are lots to choose from slate caves and oak caves, i also have a 900lph powerhead that blows current across the entrance of the caves but not directly into the caves, although it may i suppose have caused too much current and blown the eggs out i doubt it as the caves are very tight and the male must of been out its the only way the eggs could escape that way, im hoping it was a case of there first breeding atempt and maybe next time ill have a sucsessful spawn which results in some young, if not i will remove the hungry male if i get eaten eggs.
Over in the Uk we have been etting some shocking weather i can only presume that the low pressure fronts did most of the work in aiding them to breed although i was doing water changes everyday things started to happen when the pressure dipped to 985mb, im now going to feed them up really good and wait until the pressure falls again before i do a waterchange it surely cant be to far away it rains everyother day at the min!

psionic001

Jul 2, 2009
Sydney
I know for sure that for L134 you don't need to blow current across the cave entrances. What they do appreciate though, is an overhang over the entrance, like a piece of driftwood, like an awning.

I've had luck doing a WC after a big storm. You don't have to do the WC during the storm, even 12 hours later is fine.

best

Matt

Hi Matt, well ive only owend the 134s for 6 months now, they are wild caught and i have 2 males and 5 females. The tank is in my bedroom so id say yes it is in a busy ish area i do cover the tank with a towel though distubance is to a minimum feeding and waterchanges only.
They bred while i was at work when i came home i was all set to do a water change as i looked into the tank i could see what apeard to be plastic! A closer inspection of the item was to my delight but also disapointment egg caseings, there were around 20 id say iand lots of yellow chunks dotted around the tank, i managed to save 6 of the eggs but they fungused over within 24hrs i had them in a fry saver with a powerhead directed at it, i should of put them in there own tank like i do with the cory eggs!
I do have the caves slightly pointing upwards and there are lots to choose from slate caves and oak caves, i also have a 900lph powerhead that blows current across the entrance of the caves but not directly into the caves, although it may i suppose have caused too much current and blown the eggs out i doubt it as the caves are very tight and the male must of been out its the only way the eggs could escape that way, im hoping it was a case of there first breeding atempt and maybe next time ill have a sucsessful spawn which results in some young, if not i will remove the hungry male if i get eaten eggs.
Over in the Uk we have been etting some shocking weather i can only presume that the low pressure fronts did most of the work in aiding them to breed although i was doing water changes everyday things started to happen when the pressure dipped to 985mb, im now going to feed them up really good and wait until the pressure falls again before i do a waterchange it surely cant be to far away it rains everyother day at the min!