Royal whiptails (sturisoma sp. cf. Festivum)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Tank: 3 foot clearseal tank, fine gravel substrate, lots of driftwood and plants
Filtration: Eheim ecco external, Fluval 3+ internal filter
Water parameters:
Ammonia, nitrite = 0
Nitrates = 10-15
PH = 7.4
Temp = 23c
Water changes at 25% 3 times a week using rain water.

Adult Male and Female Whiptail pleco's

Male (notice the impressive beard!)

Female

Both fed on algae wafers, flake food, fresh veg (courgette, cucumber, peas, green beans) and occassional meaty treat like tetra prima or bloodworm

02/02/2009
First spawn, after a cool water change, the pair spawned for the first time, laying about 30 eggs on the glass, the male stays with the eggs and fans to keep plenty of water movement over the eggs.

The eggs at day 3

Day 4, starting to show some developememt

Day 5, huge developements overnight, and the young fish can be made out, including the blood vessels

Day 7, nearly ready, with Male stimulating the eggs to try to hatch them

Day 8, and the eggs start to hatch

Fry on day 1, still with egg sack

1 week old

The fry mainly fed on the algae growth in the tank, but at 1 month old, would start to graze on blanched lettuce leaves and cooked green beans, its at this time that they start to fill out and grow a bit more

and by 2 months, they are over 1" long and taking the same food as the adults, and ready to move on to new homes.

one of the older fry next to a newly hatched youngster

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i had to change the amount of rain water in the end, it had no buffering capacity so started getting ph swings.
i now do 50/50 rain water and tap water, just slightly cooler than the tank water

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Great post Scatz.Having seen your pics i now know i have a male.The other one i had died for no apparent reason.I have a new 1 now,so will have to wait for it to grow before i can sex it.Fingers crossed lol.

LEG-IT

Apr 15, 2010
Bossley Park, Sydney
beautiful scatz, wish i had them,

Are they easy to raise the fry?
loved how you documented it all with pics and infos,

This info will definitely help alot of people

cheers

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Thanks LEG-IT, i never had any problem raising the fry until i had a filter crash, now they dont seem to want to play ball and i haven't had a successful spawn for a while now, hoping to rectify that soon when they get moved to a different tank

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Brilliant thread and a lovely fish. I really like the tank with all the wood and Java Fern.

There are no reports of S. festivum breeding on PC, although there are a few for another "Royal", S. aureum.

cheers Darrel

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
Pretty cool :thumbup: In the picture where the male is mouthing the egg, do you think he was cleaning it or helping it hatch? Thats a great picture either way. :yes:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Pretty cool :thumbup: In the picture where the male is mouthing the egg, do you think he was cleaning it or helping it hatch? Thats a great picture either way. :yes:
he did constantly clean them, but at that point he was a lot more vigorous than before so i would guess he was trying to get them to hatch

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
my whip tails have just laid eggs in the tank....they are in there with 2 guppys (not fully grown) and 12 neon tetra's and 6 L333's (babys only 4cm's long) will they be safe in there to hatch and do everything eL-Natural?
tank is 3.5x2x2.5 so fairly large for the fish in there