L134 Leopard Frog log

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Tank set up

Size 20: gallon long

Substrate: Mainly bare, did have some sand in there but gets syphoned up with water changes

Decor: Slate caves, bogwood

Filtration: Tetratec EX600 external filter with spray bar, sponge filter

Heating: 150 watt heater set at 26 degrees

Maintenance: daily 10-25% with room temperature water from butts containing bogwood

Tankmates: None at present, used to have swordtail juvies in with them but they bothered the fry

The Fish

One male approx 3" total length plus 2 females one same size as the male the other is a little smaller. They have been in the set up since August last year. They are believed to be wild caught and had not spawned for their previous owner in the 6 months he'd had them. They are fed on Tetra prima, bloodworm flake, brineshrimp flake with garlic, frozen foods and occasional fresh veggies and algae wafers.

Spawning

I didn't try and trigger a spawning, just left them to it really. The females were pretty gravid when they arrived. The male got very hairy and one day I noticed he had the larger female trapped in his cave. They remained that way for two days and when she left a lot slimmer I could see a small pile of eggs in the back of the cave being fiercly potected by dad.

A few eggs were fanned out of the cave so I put them into a breeding trap under the outflow of the spray bar to keep them moving and they hatched a few days later.

Slowly but surely the others came out of the cave but died within hours of leaving. I was worried a film had built up on the tank floor so added a nice layer of sand but still they continued to die. I got so frustrated finding little stripey bodies everyday and not knowing what to do :cry: The three in the breeding trap continued to thrive.

Very soon I had lost all but 4 fry (25 eggs in total), 3 in the trap and one that managed to survive in the main tank.

2 months later the male spawned again but this time with the smaller female. The eggs however never fertilized. He spawned again 2 weeks later with the larger female again after a 5 day trapping and another good batch of eggs were laid. After a week we had the same problem, fries leaving the cave and dying. I hastily made a fry saver complete with its own filter for water movement which was designed by Russell aka SmithRC and popped the cave complete with male and fry in.

After this I didn't lose another fry. The male spawned with the larger female again a month later and I only lost 3 fry out of this and now have 27 healthy juvies :woohoo:

The fry are moved to their own grow-out tank set up exactly the same as the breeding tank at 2 months old.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Just what we need Joby:clap::clap:

I am sure one of the mods will move this to the breeding log section where it can bask in all its glory.

Platties?? really? I thought you had more taste:whistle:

Cheers

thegeeman

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Lol! thanks Gee :D

Swords actually and you wouldn't believe how much equipment they've helped me buy :woohoo:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
The fry are fed a mixture of what the adults eat crushed down with a pestel and mortar :yes: I feed at least 3 or 4 times a day small amounts and remove the waste regularly with a turkey baster to keep the fry saver clean :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The fry are fed a mixture of what the adults eat crushed down with a pestel and mortar :yes: I feed at least 3 or 4 times a day small amounts and remove the waste regularly with a turkey baster to keep the fry saver clean :)
Thankyou for the info, the breeding log should def help other members:D

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
how does the frysaver work with the built in filter?
The filter draws water from the main tank and pushes it out into the fry saver at one end and then goes back out into the main tank through the slots at the other end which are protected by sponge to stop the fry being taken out with it :D

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
Great read Joby very informative as you know i am currently having the same problem with my L066 fry once they leave the cave they are all dying will have to try make up some sort of fry saver that can support the weight of the cave as well :thumbup:

marls

Jun 6, 2010
Sydney, NSW
Hi Joby, thanks for sharing great info on breeding L134....Just a question on with your spray bar, does it create much current? Is there enough current that it shifts food on the bottom of the tank?

Cheers
Marls

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Hi Joby, thanks for sharing great info on breeding L134....Just a question on with your spray bar, does it create much current? Is there enough current that it shifts food on the bottom of the tank?

Cheers
Marls
I have a spray bar on the external filter and an internal aquaball which does give movement on the bottom of the main tank but food still gathers in places so they can eat. In the fry savers the same happens, there is movement but it doesn't waft all the food out. Hope this helps :thumbup:

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
I had the opposite result with the fry. Mine do better when I leave them in the tank with the parents. They die more often if I put them in a fry saver. Once they loose the egg sack, they appear to be eating stuff off the tank walls and decoration rather than food. I do not offer mine anything different than the adults get and I leave them in the parents tank for the first 2 months. Then I move them to a 10 gal grow out tank where they again get the same food the adults would get. My adults breed in a 25 gal tank with lots of live plants and decor, otos, bamboo shrimp and some galaxy rasboras aka celestial pearl danios that also breed in this tank.

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Very nice, i look forward to seeing photos when they get a little bigger :D and nothing with with platies and swords, i have some mikey mouse platies in my display, they have got very fat and will be spawning very soon :D