Baryancistrus sp. L177

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
My newest plec, nicknamed 'Latifa' since a common name for them is Queen GN, and she is fairly bling. Ive always overlooked GN's but I think this one is stunning. I just hope that she can hold her own in her new tank and keep eating. She measures at 14/15cm.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Aww thanks everyone. If you fancy one, Pier had/has a couple tanks full of L177 and L18. They did look fantastic in a big group in a black tank, Im even considering giving over some tank space (in the future) to these instead of my usual Panaque.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Ive got a pond, I assume its healthy. Is hair algae the long filamenty stuff, like blanket weed? How do you feed it to them?

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Thats the stuff, rinse it the best you can and weigh it down I try and wrap it round a large pebble another thing I use but it takes time pieces of slate popped in a shallow container with water left outside to get covered in algae I use a large tray used for plant propgation and rotate the slate pieces I know it sounds a lot of hassle but they graze algae in the wild all day / night long the packeted tables contain a lot of protein

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Ive never thought about harvesting algae in that way, is there any concern with introducing any parasites/pathogens? Ive tried a few ways using homemade veggie mix but I cant get it to bind to anything, as soon as they are in the water they break up.

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
I always change the water in the tray at least weekly if you can get hold of a good sized propgator with a clear lid it helps keep out any nasties I think I bought the last one from B&Q I cant say I have had any contamination problems it has helped me with the feeding issues you can sometimes get with newly imported wild L18 / 81 / 177 before using these methods I found them hard to get feeding sometimes.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK