How my Royals have changed over time

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I wanted to share some pictures of how some of my royals have changed over time.

For the time being I'll start with just one as I dont have access to most atm, I will continue the thread when I can.

For starters, my favourite L27. I call him Wilmslow since thats where I got him from (Wilmslow pet and aquatics). He has changed the most and has had very distinct periods of being absolutely gorgeous and then not so much. I attribute these periods too when the new stripes are emerging and he hasnt yet grown to accommodate them. After 'stagnating' for a while he has now started to grow albeit the panaque way (ie, slow). I was surprised at how much he has changed.

This is when I very first brought him home. He was accidentally picked out of a tank full of xingus (those were the days when you could find L27). Lots of fine stripes and 50% transparent caudal.

This was during a tank reshuffle and was fairly large time gap (1 year?) between this one and the previous. The lines has changed dramatically and (to me) the body has become deeper).

Time gap here was shorter (4-6 months?). New lines are beginning to emerge and the transparent caudal window is reduced. To me, here he looks a bit wrong.

Short time period (2 months?). The previously emerged lines are now formed(ish) and a couple of new ones (mid dorsal, end of ventral).

And this is the most recent. Lines continuing and the head lump has started to show and he has a much bulkier appearance now, caudal window almost gone. Overall the change has been quite dramatic so far.

I do have more and will try to find dates.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thats really cool to see the changes, thanks for sharing Matt.

Would you mind if I added a link to the profile for this thread, would be good for people interested in this royal to see?

civicr

May 17, 2009
dundee
could it be hes changed to match his tank surroundings?to blend in?

but nice thread to follow hes very nice

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Dam thats a big change. Great info bud, after witnesing myself these fish change from fully lined to fully spotted I would say anything goes with them. Im looking forward to experimenting with RO water this year.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
An update. I measured all my royals at the weekend so I'll be putting more of these up when I work through them. I thought this would be the best way to effectively show how the pattern has changed. They read left to right.

Im uncertain on the time period but my best guess would be 18 months, with most dramatic change within the last 6. He has grown from 10cm to 14cm in around 7 months, which im thrilled about. My best guess for an ID is now a Tapajos.

Heres my L27 Tocantins. Again the time period is around 18 months. He has grown about from 9cm to 12.5cm in the past 7 months.

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
very cool, I can see on the first one that he has quite a nice white stripe on his tail, and after some time, it has gone from a stripe to sprinkles,but he does retain some of that white with age ? Great shots of your royals and the changes ! thanks :clap: