L333 Hypancistrus

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
People:hi:

Just thought I would share with you all my L333 set up.

Tank
Standard 30" x 12 x 15 80 litres

Equipment
Eheim (of course:D) external 850 Lph fitted with difusor
Maxijet 600 Lph Powerhead.
200 watt heater.

livestock
3 Adult wild caught L333. 1 male and 2 females. These are the biggest Hypans I own with the male almost 5" TL
5 Juvenile Corydoras Metae
Assassin snails

Temperature
86f/30c

Parameters
TDS 150
PH 6.8
Nitrates 20
I dont test for anything else

Normal Hypan breeding applies, Plenty of good quality water changes allthough because of the high temperature I do smaller changes to avoid a big drop that could shock the fish.

All 3 adults cave and when the male wants to spawn he will visit the cave the female lives in. Sometimes the female can be trapped for anywhere upto 2 weeks but normally a few days. They produce between 20 and 50 eggs depending on the female. The eggs are really large at maybe 4mm.

Tank

These are the only pics of the adults I have which were taken before I moved them to the breeding tank

Latest spawn

Previous spawns

Cheers

thegeeman

Scat38

Aug 4, 2009
W.Australia
Hi G :)

How long do you generally wait before taking the eggs out of the cave and put into the frysaver ?

Cheers
Craig

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hi G :)

How long do you generally wait before taking the eggs out of the cave and put into the frysaver ?

Cheers
Craig
I wait until they have been hatched and wriggling for 48hours and then remove them to a trap. Once they have lost there eggs sacs (5days ish) I start to feed them crushed powder foods for a further 2 weeks before letting them back into the main tank to grow on

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

billyjimbo

Sep 16, 2009
Cheshire
I wait until they have been hatched and wriggling for 48hours and then remove them to a trap. Once they have lost there eggs sacs (5days ish) I start to feed them crushed powder foods for a further 2 weeks before letting them back into the main tank to grow on

Cheers

thegeeman
Hi Geeman, I am fairly new on here, I have young L260 in one of my caves, I had a look at them today and there are about 12 or so. They have lost their eggsacs and look like miniature adults now but I hadn't intended taking them out and putting them in a trap, why is this neccessary as I dont do it with my BNs and they survive? I only ask because this is only my L260s second spawning and I accidentally killed the first lot and dont want to take chances with these. Regards, Bill

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
why is this neccessary
Hello Bill

Its not neccesary its just the way I do things. When I first started breeding Hypans I had problems with losing eggs/fry at an early stage so started removing the fry and I have been doing it for a good percentage of my fish ever since. Lots of people just leave their fish to it and also have great success. I do believe feeding them in a trap 4 times a day for a few weeks gives them a very good start to life though

Cheers

thegeeman

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
UPDATE:

Scatz is now the proud owner of these wonderful fish so he will keep it updated with spawning news. When I handed them over they were actually still in the cave together so expect some news very soon

Over to you Scatz:D

Cheers

thegeeman