strange orange genitals ?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
If its not likely to get snagged on spikes - use a cotton bud (Q-Tip) dipped in the medication, then return the fish.

If its a rough area (not in this case) use a bit of small pore sponge and dab the area or you could squirt the area with a syringe...

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'm really interested in the outcome of this, as it is not something I have ever seen before.

I wonder if it is fungal? might seem a bit of strange comment, but a dermal fungus like the fish equivalent of "ringworm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworm?

If it is fungal I don't know how to treat it, but I'd try dabbing on a waterproof mouth ulcer treatment (Orabase or Bonjela) next time the fish was out of the water. I've done this (with a wound to one of my Apistogrammas) and it healed up really well.

cheers Darrel

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hi, thanks, no idea how to tell if fungal, but it is localised , nowhere else on his body, and not affecting other fish in the tank. (mainly corys) he is not out of sorts either.
so do I dab neat melafix or pimafix or dilute it?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well have been on holiday so he was left in peace for 2 weeks, so I caught him again yesterday
still a yellow area - I am wondering if it is just some colour pigment in the skin?
he seems so healthy, eats well, plump, fiesty and full of energy.
will keep him in QT for a lot longer and see if it changes.

Highlandken

May 6, 2009
Loch Ness, Scotland
Will try and get a chance next weekend. Got a two week old son and three year old daughter so time is in short supply !
All the fish look happy and healthy apart from the marks