L340 Hypancistrus "Megaclown"

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
These are more of an unexpected spawning as I have left them alone to grow to a point that I can sex them. I have 12 varying in size from 2"-3" TL, 5 from windy and 7 from graham26.

These are the first hypan of have bred that the male has had 2 spawns at the same time. The second spawn was some 2 days later but vanished after one night.

Set up

Standard 3ft Hypan tank set up of slate, Bogwood and and 4 slate caves.

Filteration

Eheim external 750lph with difuser and UGF.

Substrate

Standard Pea gravel

Parameters

Temp 82-84
PH 6.8
TDS 120
Nitrate 20

The Tank

Pic of the male

View of the male from above showing the thickness of the head

Fry

Cheers

thegeeman

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
nice one! at what age approx are they willing to spawn? im really hoping my 7 will, thats if they are not all 1 sex!!
Hey Charles :hi:

These are very small and like I said at the top I bought a few and put them in a tank to grow out until I was able to sex them. The male that is spawning is no more the 3" TL and all the others are mostly 2" with a few even smaller.

These are by far the smallest hypan I have bred. If you got them from Oddball or Pier then I would say they are ready to go.

Cheers

thegeeman

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
Hey Charles :hi:

These are very small and like I said at the top I bought a few and put them in a tank to grow out until I was able to sex them. The male that is spawning is no more the 3" TL and all the others are mostly 2" with a few even smaller.

These are by far the smallest hypan I have bred. If you got them from Oddball or Pier then I would say they are ready to go.

Cheers

thegeeman
thanks for the reply geeman. :). I did get them from pier and had them 5 months now, cant really give an accruate measurement though as they are quite quick and dont go on the glass anymore. WOW i would be pleased if they do :) I thought i would have to wait a year or so more. i have caves in there(10L x 5w x 5h cm) but as you say these hypans are very small and i fear my caves are to big, what is your opinion? i mean that cave doesnt sound to big but compared to them it is quite large, and they very rarely go in them. there is plenty of other hiding spots but not one as convienent or perhaps as ideal as the breeding caves.
thanks.

edit- sorry for all the Q's but how do we sex these little guys and i will have a crack myself, just out of curiosity.

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Like I said I havent even looked at sexing them so cant really give an informed opinion but I would presume the normal hypan way.

The caves sound abit too big, imo 50mm x 50mm even for my other hypans is a little large. The ones I am using were originally for my 174,s and 20w x 15h x 100L and even then the male has a struggle to hold the fry back. Str24rsap on here enjoy,s cutting his fingers to shred making caves this small so drop him a pm:lol:

Cheers

thegeeman

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
Like I said I havent even looked at sexing them so cant really give an informed opinion but I would presume the normal hypan way.

The caves sound abit too big, imo 50mm x 50mm even for my other hypans is a little large. The ones I am using were originally for my 174,s and 20w x 15h x 100L and even then the male has a struggle to hold the fry back. Str24rsap on here enjoy,s cutting his fingers to shred making caves this small so drop him a pm:lol:

Cheers

thegeeman
cheers. last question i promise, what would be the ideal size caves for these hypans then? ( in cm) im assuming length doesnt matter? only width and height of the entrance?

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
cheers. last question i promise, what would be the ideal size caves for these hypans then? ( in cm) im assuming length doesnt matter? only width and height of the entrance?
I would go with the 20w x 15h x 100l. As i said they are a little big but as the fish are still growing then it will be wise to stick with that sort of size. Jozebs will probably have some nice round clay ones that will suit you.

Cheers

thegeeman

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
I would go with the 20w x 15h x 100l. As i said they are a little big but as the fish are still growing then it will be wise to stick with that sort of size. Jozebs will probably have some nice round clay ones that will suit you.

Cheers

thegeeman
thanks measurements in MM i take it?

lol ive just realised how stupid that question is like the cave would be a metre long lmao....ignore post..and thanks for your time geeman, hopefully i will have a spawn soon :)