Panaque suttonorum & cochliodon

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Other than catch location and possibly size, what differences are there between these two panaques?

Ive been looking them up in back to nature guide to L-catfishes book and it says Panaque cochliodon was incorrectly known as suttonorum, however there is no profile at all in the book for suttonorum and L welse has a profile but no pics or even much info but lots of info for the cochliodon:dk:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
From the re-description (Lujan et al. 2010) of these two species the only visual way to differentiate them (without getting your micrometer out and working percentages of standard length) are these:

Supraoccipital hump - Panaque cochliodon - present
Supraoccipital hump - Panaque suttonorum - absent

Maxillary barbel - Panaque cochliodon - short
Maxillary barbel - Panaque suttonorum - long

Adult caudal fin shape - Panaque cochliodon - lunate
Adult caudal fin shape - Panaque suttonorum - lunate or forked

Posterior fin reach of pelvic fin spine - Panaque cochliodon - beyond posterior insertion of anal fin
Posterior fin reach of pelvic fin spine - Panaque suttonorum - between anterior and posterior insertion of anal fin

And even then these characteristics are difficult to observe, especially if the fish is a juvenile.

This is how I try to differentiate them. Panaque cochliodon has a more defined angular hump (the supraoccipital hump) whereas P. suttonorum has curvier domed shaped head. Panaque cochliodon is overall darker grey/black whereas P. suttonorum is a lighter grey. Panaque cochliodon has a smoother appearance with the body odontodes less apparent whereas P. suttonorum has a rougher body with more obvious body odontodes.

Panaque cochliodon and suttonorum side by side

Panaque cochliodon

Panaque suttonorum

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Shane Linder has written something about the differences as well, looked for a while last night but couldn't find it.

Matt, you'll have your finger on the pulse more than I, which commands a higher price, suttonorum?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Is this the article, Mike?

Mysteries of the Blue Eyed Pleco Panaque cochliodon

I've not really been aware of these two fish long enough to know if there's a price discrepancy between them. I only saw my first one a year or so ago.

These are the sizes and prices I've seen recently

Panaque cochliodon - 15-20cm £450, 25-35cm £1000

Panaque suttonorum - 30-35cm £1000, 47cm £750

I remember when Blue Eyes (I don't know which) began to arrive 2 or so years ago at £1000-1200 at shops. Then a few specimens from hobbyists turned up at £175 (I missed this one) and £400'ish.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Very cheap

Thanks for the article link Matt, I guess the follow up article on the P.suttonorum thats mentioned hasn't happened yet

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Both the fish shown were / are mine they both export at the same price the P.Suttonorum offered available once this year so far the Panaque cochliodon offered once in 2011 both retail the same size dependant.

I have spent a vast amount of time watching these fish one thing I have noticed they both have very different eating habits

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Both the fish shown were / are mine they both export at the same price the P.Suttonorum offered available once this year so far the Panaque cochliodon offered once in 2011 both retail the same size dependant.

I have spent a vast amount of time watching these fish one thing I have noticed they both have very different eating habits
Thanks for the info Jo. Would you be able to explain the differences?