eheim 2080 or fluval fx5

james2190

Dec 30, 2011
melbourne
im looking for a new filter and im not sure what to get out of the two if anyone has these filters please give me some feed back thankyou

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
RELIABILITY, cheaper is not always best. In a lot of other forums I find that there are a lot more issues with NON Eheim filters. In the end it is your choice, but after 30years plus, EHEIM the way to go. cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Flow rates are very subjective anyway, with or without media etc.

macvsog23 has some Eheim that have been running for over 20 years with little more than the occasional media change iirc.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Eheim are made the same way as they were 20 years ago the very rarely change the design were as fluval change the design every few years.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I've got a pair of 20+ year old Eheim filters which they don't make anymore but I can still get every part for the filter. Like others have said, Fluval changes filter designs every few years making replacement parts hard to come by. BTW, i've got a pile of obsolete fluval filters as well.

Flow is a minor consideration when choosing a filter. For instance I can get a water pump that flows 900gph but that doesn't make it a good filter. In fact I don't necessarily like a canister with a high flow rate when compared to volume as that simply means more debris is sucked into the filter & the more often I need to clean the fitler. I prefer to rely on a high-flow internal or HOb to remove debris as they are much easier to clean.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I don't contest Eheim's reliability (although I'm only 3 and a bit years in to them) and their build quality. I do think the 2080 is a flawed model and probably doesn't live up to the Eheim standard. The FX5 definitely isn't perfect either, but at half the price, I can't say the 2080 is twice as good.