PH and TDS

rickyjjuk

Jun 3, 2009
Suffolk
Hi all

Recently I have bought a RO unit and have been using a hma filter for before that. When checking the PH and tds since I started they have both dropped but the PH seems to rise again? The tds was 450 which I know is very high but since then it's down to 230. The PH was 8.4 and after water change drops down to 8.0-8.1 then comes back up? I've heard that the PH should start lowering when the tds get below 150? Can you lower tds to fast if the ph isn't changing? Also would you add RO right to the RO water or add the hma water to it? When adding back to RO water what tds should I aim for? I know it's a lot if questions but I'm starting to feel dizzy thinking all this RO/hma/tds/ph/kh !!!! Lol :)

Regards

Ricky

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
The main problem with R/O is that it is totally inert and unstable, the PH will run away in neat R/O the HMA will make the P/H stable but the PH is not a major issue.
I work around a Kh of 4 to 6 and a TDS of under 200ppm and above 175pmm I use a very small amount of RO Right to bing the TDS up by under 25ppm to just over 200ppm.

Using Alder Cones and Almond leaves you can make the water more acid this will get the PH to drop but PH is as i said for me not the main issue.

rickyjjuk

Jun 3, 2009
Suffolk
Hi

Would the ph go up or down if it was to run away as you put it :dk: I have never worried about the ph before and managed to breed several plec's successfully. But since using the RO I am just concerned of any sudden ph changes that could happen? I do use Alder Cones and Almond leaves in my tanks since the beginning of dec last year :thumbup:

Regards

Ricky

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Unstable PH will go were it wants to. I mix my Water using a bleed valve I run a pressurized R/O system using a pump with this I get it spot on the R/O is running at a known rate and the HMA can be "Backed off" using the bleed valve to get a very stable "mix". I would confidently say that from day to day I would get under 10 ppm change on my water the other trick with a system like mine is I can shut the HMA off for a short time and produce a "Softer" water for breeding use.