The 5 Freedoms

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
•Freedom from hunger and thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor

•Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.

•Freedom from pain, injury or disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment

•Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring condition and treatment which avoid metal suffering

•Freedom to express normal behavior - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animals own kind.

Animal Welfare Act April 2007

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Do these apply to fish under the letter of the law?

I think not, purely because of the wording of some of them.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
This act is relevant to all vertebrates thus fish are covered. So far in the UK what few prosecutions that have been made with regards to fish have been on the issues of selling
For example a woman was prosecuted and fined fro selling a goldfish to a young adult who was obviously unable to care for it. Sadly the press and media went with "Poor grandmother is fines thousands for selling a gold fish, no mention of her selling a rodant to some one who took it home in a jam jar!!
As far as i am concerned it can be applied to fish on the basic freedoms.

1 food The fish must be feed as we are aware fish feeding is normally an issue with over feeding but again the diet must be correct ie feeding hypans only algae wafers?

2 Discomfort a small tank?

3 pain speaks for its self

4 Fear must apply to all the dip shits that think aggression is "my fish love to chase each other"
5 normal behavior sorry all you big fish keepers normal behavior is traveling thousands of miles to spawn.
Basically it knocks on the head most fish keeping

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
surely it all boils down to common sense. treat your fish like your family and also how you wish to be treated. cheers jk :thumbup:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
surely it all boils down to common sense. treat your fish like your family and also how you wish to be treated. cheers jk :thumbup:
Oh yes common sense yes I remember that did it not die out with social responsibility? Along with respect and a few other things I believe this was when we adopted total and absolute greed as our aims in life.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Oh yes common sense yes I remember that did it not die out with social responsibility? Along with respect and a few other things I believe this was when we adopted total and absolute greed as our aims in life.
Bob I would vote for you if you were my local candidate, have you considered politics? We have a very similar way of thinking, if I could stop working for the man today I would. I hate the pressures of a commercial life.

And your post goes without saying,but sadly many animals suffer in silence :cry: