anyone know??/

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
does anyone know where i can get sponge from?i want to make some sponge filters but don't know where to get aquatic safe sponge blocks from?i want to be able to cut them to suit each tank individually...any idea's??

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Try TA aquaculture first, the FS1604 Huey hung type filter and sponge are excellent and cheap. <http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/Filtration-Air.htm> (at the bottom of the page.)

If you do want to make your own, go to your nearest "Koi" place. They should sell 12" x 4" x 4" square blocks with a central hole for about £8. You can cut the size you want and silicon these onto a glazed tile.

The other possibility is buy the dimpled sheets, cut the size you want, roll it up, and cable tie it on to some tubing. I've done this with ppi 10 foam and it works pretty well. Got the last set from here: <http://www.pumpsandspares.com/other-items/miscfoamsbrushes.php> the "TFGS2000S".

cheers Darrel

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
I use these pre drilled foam blocks to make my sponge filters you can make them as big as you like (as deep as your tank) you will just need to get some plastic tube drill holes in and weight it very simple very effective Kettering Koi are supper fast with delivery.
Just a side note I always cut the blocks in half so I can alternate when it comes too cleaning them.
http://www.ketteringkoi.com/acatalog/Filter_Foam_Blocks.html

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Yes those are the ones I use, but only £5.50 from "Kettering Koi" :(.
I've found a glazed tile is best for the weight, silicon sticks really well to the glaze, and they come in a range of colours. Slate is also all right if you give it a good buff with some fine glass paper, (to get it really smooth).

Cutting the sponges in half for cleaning is also a good idea, although I tend to only give mine a very occasional swirl under the cold tap (I know your not meant to but it doesn't seem to matter), when you can't see what colour the sponge was.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
The other advantage of tiles, is that if your other half is keen on "interior design", you always have plenty of free samples to play with.
Now then how about a prize for anyone who can think of a fish keeping use for loads carpet samples as well? (all 80:20 wool:nylon, no cheap stuff here).
cheers Darrel

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Hi all,
The other advantage of tiles, is that if your other half is keen on "interior design", you always have plenty of free samples to play with.
Now then how about a prize for anyone who can think of a fish keeping use for loads carpet samples as well? (all 80:20 wool:nylon, no cheap stuff here).
cheers Darrel
Re carpet a living room??

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Wooden boards now

Hi all,
Thanks gents, but things have moved on, the carpet is out, now it is going to be solid oak boards about 6 inches thick! I keep on telling myself "if it makes her happy" and "it's only money", but I still find myself looking at the oak samples and seeing each one as a £10 drinks/fish voucher.
cheers Darrel