Project - New Tank Insullation

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello All,

I just received my my 4 new tanks for my rack and was generally wondering how to tryand reduce costs and also secure the new tanks for my Ls. A while ago I asked members if they painted their tanks etc and what colour. I got various responses and black seemed to be the majority of colour choice and also Elko came back that he insulates his tank with a type wetsuit material. So I have now done this to my new tanks and am sure it would save costs on electricity and at the same time make my Ls feel secure.
All of my new tanks are 36L x 18W x 14H
1. My new tanks

2. First cut styro to fit all 3 sides of tank

3. Then cut black non slip plastic mesh to size - i bough from the hardware store non slip matting for draws.

4. Then with just a small dab of silicon glue together and voila

2 benefits
1. You have black and additional insulation to keep water temp constant and save water
2. If in future you wish to sell tanks etc no need to scrape off paint etc

Cheers jk :thumbup:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Great idea, JK!:thumbup:
I guess non slip matting with the white styro behind gives quite a textured look?
What are you planning to use as lids?

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
normal glass lids with a 2ft LED light only. So dim lit. Will show you the whole set up and rack in my project thread soon. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
looks great, love the textured look ! can't wait to see what you go with fishwise!!!! so exciting to have new tanks ...so many ideas:woohoo:

Georgie

paddo94

Oct 26, 2013
Australia N.S.W
normal glass lids with a 2ft LED light only. So dim lit. Will show you the whole set up and rack in my project thread soon. cheers jk :thumbup:
Where would I find the project thread too view your setup and rack?
Good idea with the mesh in styro definitely what I need too do.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow that was so long ago, i will have to try and find it amoungst the over 6000 post that i have sent. give me time please. cheers jk :thumbup: