Lost a L002 today :(

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
I'm so sad :(
I woke up this morning and went to the garage to check on my fishes and found this

I tested the Ph straight away and it was only a teeny bit higher than usual which shouldn't have any negative effects.
Now I've gone out this afternoon when I finished work to buy a master test kit because I have only ever had a ph kit before. They have been in this tank for about 2 weeks now while I am disassembling my other tank for moving and murdering snails. They've all looked perfectly fine until now and this has happened very suddenly.
Heres a few more pictures from different angles. I couldn't see any fighting marks or anything, it's very clean.

This was one of two I had bought from Brenda last August so they were approaching adult size and I'm pretty disappointed :(

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
so sorry, nature can be cruel, could be internal cancer or egg bound? or bloated? or is that belly swelling just form being dead? was she plump like that before can you remember?

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
well I didn't see any bloating before now so I assume it's because of the death. I didn't even know what sex they were so if I've just lost a female that's even more upsetting.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sorry indeed. hard to say really, but mostly these are internal infections . Unless you would have noticed then there would have been nothing you could have done. Nature is cruel and I am sure everything else is ok. Just monitor the others and maybe even medicate with the twins to be sure. cheers jk :thumbup:

berwickdave

Jan 14, 2011
berwick melbourne
sorry indeed. hard to say really, but mostly these are internal infections . Unless you would have noticed then there would have been nothing you could have done. Nature is cruel and I am sure everything else is ok. Just monitor the others and maybe even medicate with the twins to be sure. cheers jk :thumbup:
what u mean medicate with twins cheers dave:dk:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Would check your perameters as you could have had a nitrite spike. Its quick sometimes and you often can miss it. Drop some prime in there just in case.

Really sorry you lost her, yup it was a her. I find a full bottle of red and a good blood and guts dvd like Punisher makes me feel better.

It did look either egg bound or bloated.

I found a L204 sitting up out front right way up a few weeks ago. Established tank, no differents foods or anything. Looked absolutely pristine perfect exept it was dead. The red and the movie didnt help. I sold the rest off in disgust lol.

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
Dang it.. Hopefully my other one is a girl so I can find her a man one day. I'm going to test in the morning. All my other fish are still fine.
I went on the xbox and shot some people.. That works sometimes.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Really horrible and you may well never know the reason. I've had it happen once, came down at 7AM, a dead fish which looked in perfect health (and absolutely enormous), with no other fish effected and the tank looking fine.

A couple of days later I came down to the kitchen (where the tank is) to get a paracetamol about 6AM, before the lights come on. When I turned the kitchen light on had a quick look in the tank and I found the other Hypancistrus debiliterra all arranged at the top of the tank, right by the water line and making no attempt to hide, they were also all a lot bigger than the last time I had seen them.

I had a reasonable amount of flow, but the filter sponge was overdue for a clean, I'd just found that I had more fish load than I should have done, and there were a lot of plants in the tank. I also didn't have any extra aeration and I had turned the venturi off because the bubbling sound annoys my wife.

I turned the tank lights on, and pulled the filter outlet up above the water line, poured some cooler water in and waited, within a couple of minutes the fish all "woke up" and swam away normally, back down to the bottom of the tank. They swam away in size order, smallest first, largest last and the one that had died? the biggest of all.

I'm pretty sure that lack of oxygen/high CO2 was the cause of the "symptom less" death, and that if I hadn't of come down when I did I would have lost the rest of them.

In this case it was failing to take into account the oxygen usage of the plants, the amount of the surface they covered and their effect on flow speed, combined with a slight slackening of filter maintenance and more fish bio-load, that had caused the problems.

But anything that caused more oxygen usage/CO2 production (chloramine in the water, a more protein rich diet) or reduced the gas exchange surface (too many surface plants, not enough flow speed, no venturi), or the biological filtration capacity (less oxygen reaching the filter, less flow speed, more organic waste) or high temperatures (less dissolved O2 in the water) could have had the same effect.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,
Really horrible and you may well never know the reason. I've had it happen once, came down at 7AM, a dead fish which looked in perfect health (and absolutely enormous), with no other fish effected and the tank looking fine.

A couple of days later I came down to the kitchen (where the tank is) to get a paracetamol about 6AM, before the lights come on. When I turned the kitchen light on had a quick look in the tank and I found the other Hypancistrus debiliterra all arranged at the top of the tank, right by the water line and making no attempt to hide, they were also all a lot bigger than the last time I had seen them.

I had a reasonable amount of flow, but the filter sponge was overdue for a clean, I'd just found that I had more fish load than I should have done, and there were a lot of plants in the tank. I also didn't have any extra aeration and I had turned the venturi off because the bubbling sound annoys my wife.

I turned the tank lights on, and pulled the filter outlet up above the water line, poured some cooler water in and waited, within a couple of minutes the fish all "woke up" and swam away normally, back down to the bottom of the tank. They swam away in size order, smallest first, largest last and the one that had died? the biggest of all.

I'm pretty sure that lack of oxygen/high CO2 was the cause of the "symptom less" death, and that if I hadn't of come down when I did I would have lost the rest of them.

In this case it was failing to take into account the oxygen usage of the plants, the amount of the surface they covered and their effect on flow speed, combined with a slight slackening of filter maintenance and more fish bio-load, that had caused the problems.

But anything that caused more oxygen usage/CO2 production (chloramine in the water, a more protein rich diet) or reduced the gas exchange surface (too many surface plants, not enough flow speed, no venturi), or the biological filtration capacity (less oxygen reaching the filter, less flow speed, more organic waste) or high temperatures (less dissolved O2 in the water) could have had the same effect.

cheers Darrel
Firstly really sorry for you again know the feeling, gutting.

This sounds really similar to the case with my fish deaths. Did a water change everything had been fine for a long time I have a reasonably planted tank. All fine when I went to bed all active happy came down stairs in the morning and my largest fish the L128 was on its back dead then I found my L200 the same and my L235 but my L114 and L191 L129 all my bristlenoses absolutely fine. The toughest least affected seemed to be the L114.

All my fish were gasping at the top. I assumed this was a sign of lack of oxygen so ran my air pump really strongly and within the hour all the fish were recovering. I measured my water and noticed my ph very low so all I can think is high CO2 through the night caused the ph to drop sharply.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
What is the white area just below the stomach? Has this been mentioned? It could be something to do with it :dk: so sorry to hear about it