What is this plant?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
i think its very good, its a great food for herbivorous fish, great cover for fry, tones down the lighting and helps keep down nitrates.

Dont be so hard on the duckweed lol

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Definitely Duckweed (prob. Lemna minor). Like FF and DMAC says it's a real weed, but does a great job of sucking up nutrients <http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthread.php/18686-Duckweed-and-waterquality...-a-blessing-in-disguise.?>. You could try skimming it off with an aquarium net, or you can use Limnobium or Salvinia to out compete it. If you have really fast Duckweed growth and it is dark green, you know you have a lot of macro-nutrients (NPK) and particularly a lot of nitrogen (N).

If the Duckweed (or Amazon Frogbit) looks very yellow and isn't growing much at all you have low nitrates and/or very acid water. I use this "Duckweed index" to keep the nutrients in my tanks low, but not non-existant.

I like this web site "The Charms of Duckweed" <http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm>, shows there is more to Duckweed than you might imagine.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
duck weed......yuck weed..........get a net and catch all of it.even if you leave one half behind it grows back :wb:

Last edited:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Duck weed is about the most usefull thing in a tank as said its a food a cover for young fish and it removes things

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
on a serious side though, although it is hard to get rid of, I do have it in all of my tanks and it is true it does act as an indicator of a great tank and system. It thrives when tank water is great and also takes up excess waste and nitrates. It also provides cover from the light. I just scoop it our every now and then. cheers jk :thumbup:

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Do you mean celestial pearl danios or duckweed you might get. I have plenty duckweed you can have some for nothing if that's what you were after didn't even buy it in the first place anyway , never stops growing back??