L278 vs. LDA18/ L377

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
L278 vs. LDA 18/ L377

Both fish are remarkably similar with no typically defining characteristic in either as the differences are quite subtle.
I will try to explain the subtle differences as observed by myself and perhaps others can comment as well.

An adult male L278 appears to have a slightly shorter snout and a chubbier body in comparison to the LDA 18/ L377.

The L278 mottling is not well defined and appears blurry even on a well focussed photo where as the scribbled markings of the LDA 18/ L377 appears to have fairly well defined lines.

In some photos I have seen in the Aqualog book, the LDA 18/ L377 looks true to its marketing name of "yellow prince tiger" but the L278 seems to have a more orange coloration.

The tail of the L278 has a slightly thicker top ray than the LDA 18/ L377 and has no lower tail filament extension at all whereas the latter has a small filament extension.

If I had to choose a marketing name for the L278 it would be "Rio Apure orange king tiger" as it describes the fish origin and colour.

Adult male photos

Adult female photos