explain this

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,ive been observing plant growth in my big tank over the last 4 weeks.the last week and 2 days ive not added any ferts,just co2 at 1 bubble a second.
ive also been using the floating plants as a guide for adding ferts,the floaters are still very green,without ferts for over a week.
now the thing is ive got more plant and floating plant root growth in the last week than i got from the first 3 weeks!!i was adding ferts in the first 3 weeks.
also no new algae,older algea going red.
i poo clean the tank every 3 days and do a 20% water change every monday with filter sponge clean.
strange but true.....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It could be that you were adding too much plant food and there was enough in the water to sustain the plants for the last week. What type of algae are you getting? spot or brown? Some algae's can indicate too much phosphate in the water, this is usually also included in plant foods and will feed the algae if too much. You can check your tap water for phosphates, mine is really high.

Theres an article here that may help

http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles/aquarium-care/80.asp

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Were you advised to set it at one bubble per second? seems quite a high amount of co2. Have you checked the co2 levels in tank? also do you have it running day and night?

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
It could be that you were adding too much plant food and there was enough in the water to sustain the plants for the last week........ You can check your tap water for phosphates, mine is really high.
That would be my suggestion as well, you always get a bit of a lag between fertiliser addition and growth. Also the plants responses to each different nutrient, whether it can store them in the tissues and then transport them to areas of growth etc, are different.

It is the production line analogy, instead of the speed of the line being set by the slowest process, plant growth is limited by one factor, either the amount of a nutrient ion in solution (usually K+ or NO3-), concentration of dissolved CO2 or light (photosynthetically active radiation - PAR) .

Although we think of N P K (Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) & Potassium (K)) as macro-nutrients, plants actually need about x10 more N and K than they do P. In the UK if you use tap water you will definitely have more phosphorus in your water than the plants will ever need because the water companies add orthophosphate (PO4) to control heavy metal solubility.

This was the idea behind EI fertiliser dosing ("Estimative Index"), CO2 and nutrients are never limiting, growth is limited by light availability. Quote from its originator, Tom Barr.
The idea behind EI is simply introducing an excess amount of nutrients within an aquarium, throughout the week. This excess of nutrients floods the water column and feeds the plants. This is an estimative method; measuring specific nutrient uptake rates is not necessary and no test kits are involved. EI provides a surplus of nutrients that helps to prevents plant deficiencies, and allows plant growth to out compete algae growth.
Therefore more light means you need to add more CO2 and fertilisers to keep things in balance. I don't like EI, because you are dealing with a system where you have a lot of potential for things to go wrong. I think of it like juggling, in this case you have 3 balls (light, nutrients, CO2) and the more of each you have, the higher the balls are thrown. If your "balls" aren't thrown the same height (CO2 isn't distributed through out the tank, one nutrient is limiting plant growth) algae and deficiencies symptoms appear. Basically the plant is dining every day at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant and if it has to go to KFC it isn't happy

This is why I developed the low tech "duckweed index", in this case CO2 is atmospheric (so no added CO2) and the light is irrelevant, as nutrients are always limiting, you can tell when a nutrient (usually either N or K) become severely limiting, as the "Duckweed" (can be Salvinia or Amazon Frogbit) becomes yellow and growth slows to a stop.

In the restaurant analogy, the plant is scavenging from the bins at the organic, vegetarian restaurant and just managing to keep alive, with the occasional trip to Nando's when death is imminent. This doesn't produce lush growth of EI, but it does produce a tough resilient plant and less input of fertilisers, no CO2 etc. means a "lower juggle", and less to go wrong in the tank. I want stability much more than I want rapid plant growth.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I won't stability too, so I removed one off the balls, the ferts.
I'm convinced it was giving me staghorn. There's no new staghorn in the tank now.
I don't won't massive plant growth,I don't like chopping them down.
I'll keep doing my routine for 2 or 3 weeks and see how things go.at the rate the Plants are growing I'll have to do some chopping next Monday.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Dave you need to keep trickling a little bit of fertiliser in, if you stop altogether the plants have gone from feast to famine without being "toughened up". Think of it as "healthy eating" rather than the plants going on a crash diet.

I usually have a small amount of Stags-horn algae, so I'm not sure it is a nutrient issue. If you can't ignore it, your best bet is a removal of the badly effected leaves.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
ok,ive been going through my notes that ive kept from when i started my tank.
long story short,it looks like the plants like small amounts of ferts,small water changes,small amounts of fish food,co2 1 bubble every 1 to 2 seconds,half dose of excel flourish,lights on for 7 hours.
thats rounding up all my info ive kept.
the fish dont seam to care wot i do,as long as they get feed.
i will stick to the above,with a 20% water change and filter sponge clean and 2ml ferts every monday....staghorn or no staghorn.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
back on track with this thread:
the floating plants have gone mad:

had to pull some off them today as they were blocking to much light.
i think they like my new routine,adding ferts once a week.