Old 06-14-13, 03:56 PM

Ramblue's Flag is: UK
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Breeding Experience: None
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
Ramblue is on a distinguished road
Question New Peppermint Pleco L30

My pleco never comes out, and it does not even suck on the wood or décor or glass, why
Old 06-22-13, 08:55 PM
Support Team

Lornek8's Flag is: United States
Fishkeeping Experience: Advanced
Gallery: 29
Helpful Posts
Awards PhotoPOTM Winner
Lornek8 is on a distinguished road
Most plecs are pretty shy, at least at first. Some are more so than others. A new pleco typically hides a lot until they feel comfortable then may venture out more. For some plecs this could be a matter of days, for others it could be months or more. For species like L030 which are wild-caught this shy period could last for a really long time as they settle from importation and adjust to captive living. L030 is also a slightly more omnivorous plec so tends not to suck on surfaces as much as more herbivirous plecs. In fact, most plecs I've owned never suck on the glass.
Old 06-23-13, 12:27 AM

zeebo's Flag is: United States
Gallery: 16
Helpful Posts
zeebo is on a distinguished road
also, do you have dither fish. Usually they swim higher up and this lets the bottom dwellers know it is safe . As Lorne said , he is in a new environment and has no idea what else is in your tank, probably assumes something could be lurking in the hidey places wanting to eat him. When he realizes nobody is planning a plec dinner, and he becomes accostomed to his new home, he may come out. I have 2 wild caught blue phantoms and one comes out often. I never see them on the glass but i do catch them lounging on the wood sometimes during the day . But this did not happen at first. Took them a long time to get comfy in their new home/environment.

Just give him some time . Patience is a good thing to have when one keeps fish, and esp plecs !

also, he may be rasping on the wood at night and you may not see him. Brown poo is usually a sign, depending on what else you feed him.
Old 06-25-13, 02:23 AM

Helpful Posts
Many thanks for both replies. I have learned a lot from you

This pleco has been in my tank for nearly 3 weeks now. First, it stayed under a piece of wood for a short while. Then it decided to stay inside the cannon, which is the home of my clown loach. And the pleco never comes up - never saw it sucking on anything although I could see its sucker like mouth "hanging".

Besides this L30 and loach, I have got platy, rosy tetra, neon tetra, rainbow and some shrimps.

Old 06-25-13, 03:49 AM
Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND

bigbird's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Advanced
Breeding Experience: Intermediate
Gallery: 117
Helpful Posts
Awards Photo
bigbird is on a distinguished road
they are night active fish, so at night they will do all of the feeding etc. I would give it time still to settle in , maybe another 4-6weeks and you will see it come out more. Have you got enought hiding spots so it feels secure ? cheers jk

Greatings from Downunder Sydney- :D I am not perfect, so I say it how I see it :-/ Smile and enjoy Life
Old 06-25-13, 11:18 PM

chaase's Flag is: Australia
Breeding Experience: Intermediate
Helpful Posts
chaase is on a distinguished road
I have just acquired a pair of very very shy peppermints, who when there was any lights on - would run & hide.

I decided to "confuse & desensitize" them a little by leaving the lights on over the last few days for a full 24hrs. Now they are not fussed or don't seem to be anyway.

hope this helps
Old 06-29-13, 12:07 AM

zeebo's Flag is: United States
Gallery: 16
Helpful Posts
zeebo is on a distinguished road
as others have said, just be sure there are more than enough hidey places for everyone , plus a few spare so everyone has a good choice.

Keep your eye on the clown loach at feeding time. I have seen a 4'' clown loach spike a 9'' common plec with it's eye blades when food was put in . The 9'' plec flew over to the other side of the tank and did not get any food. This was years ago, when I kept 2 clown loaches. Had planned to move them so the plec could eat in peace, but disaster hit before I could move them. HTH
Old 07-07-13, 05:08 PM

Helpful Posts
To answer to the replies. I have two pieces of decent size wood, 1 cannon, one very small piece of wood. Some plants. Hopefully this will be enough.

Talking about the spike of clown loach, actually I had a thought. Before this peppermint I got a Royal Pleco. It came to my tank and was very active. As soon as I put in a cucumber, it would clear it up. One day suddenly it died after I saw it staying near the cannon - my clown's home. It had only been in my tank for about 20 days! I suspected that it was killed by the clown