Breeding Logs step by step accounts of breeding attempts and successes

Old 28-04-13, 11:54

Bryce BN's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Breeding Experience: Beginner
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
Bryce BN is on a distinguished road
Bryce's Breeding log Albino and common BN.

Hello I've decided to start a breeding log on this forum to keep you guys up to date with what's been going on .

Tank: 3 foot tank split into 2 sections each side holding around 60 litres.
Current tank residents: Left side- 8.5cm albino male, 7.5cm albino female, 7.5cm albino female, Approx 30 common fry.
Right side- 9.5cm common male, 8cm common female, 8cm common female.
Diet: a varied diet of zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, hikari algae wafers, deshelled peas, the odd green bean.
Filtration: 1 biochemical sponge filter in each run by an air pump rated up to 800L aquariums.
Heater: 150w aqua one heater stuck on the middle wall. Keeps one side 26 degrees and the other side around 24.5 degrees.
Maintenance: 20-40% water change daily will cut the water changes to probably every other day in a few weeks just making sure the tanks get fully established first.
Furnishing: 1 decent sized peice of driftwood in each side, 1 round clay cave, and home made ceramic tile caves.

First of all I purchased a 8cm albino male posted from sydney to add to my 7cm albino female. Then when browsing the lfs i found a very nice 7.5-8cm common female which i purchased and added.

About 2 weeks later on the 16th of April the common female laid eggs with the male.
Friday 19th of april eggs hatched (on my birthday)
Friday the 19th of april i went out to purchase a new tank to accommodate my new breeding adventure. I ended up purchasing a 3ft tank split in the middle each side holds about 60 litres. To this tank i added some established filter media from my other tanks and moved dad and his cave to one side of the new tank. Each side of the tank is filtered by a sponge filter connected to a decently sized air pump.
Tuesday the 23rd of april a trio of 1 male common 9.5cm, 1 female common 8cm, and 1 albino female 7.5cm arrived from sydney. So now i have a common trio in 1 side and an albino trio in the other side.
Friday the 26th of april fry start leaving the cave majority are out by the next morning. In the afternoon i go to remove the cave to give my male a break and there is more eggs in the cave this time to my original 7cm albino female which is around 7.5cm now.
Saturday 27th of april 100% common fry as mum is common dad is albino. Fry are feeding on blanched zucchini, peas, Hikari algae wafers and spinach leaves.
Planning to remove the cave 6 or 7 days after these eggs hatch so the female dont spawn again and my poor male can have a well deserved break for a month or 2.

Hoping that my common trio will spawn soon. The male is starting to take interest in a cave at the moment so fingers crossed in the next week or so they'll spawn.

I'll continue to keep you guys updated .
Did you find this post helpful?
222Cam222, Brengunthanked for this post
Old 28-04-13, 11:59

Bryce BN's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Breeding Experience: Beginner
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
Bryce BN is on a distinguished road
My 8.5cm albino male:

Original 7.5cm albino female:

9.5cm common male: