Shy L114

Yoda

Apr 13, 2011
UK
Hi All,

2 weeks ago I got a young (about 6cm) L114 Pseuda cf leopardus.
The second I let it go, it dissappeared into the pile of bogwood in my tank. And I haven't seen it since. It does come out at feeding time. And I have looked into the tank at night hoping to catch sight of it. BHut not even a flash of fin.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks
Yoda

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Try and get a look at the tummy and eyes when it comes out to feed. If the tummy is flat or rounded then I wouldn't worry, if sunken then theres a problem. The eyes should also look normal and not sunken or bulging. Also even if you don't know who's poop it is,check it just to make sure it looks ok, not clear or white

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
I have a 7" L114 and i can go a couple of weeks not seeing him, then i will see him every day out and about.

I agree with Doodles next time he out get a good look at him.

Yoda

Apr 13, 2011
UK
So it seems they are naturally shy?

That's my concern. Is I never see it to tell if something is wrong.

I could take apart my tank. ie remove all the bogwood to try and find it. But there is loads, and I think it will stress all my other fish.

Apr 28, 2009
Christmas Island
I have 4 L114 and never really see them. The largest is 10 inches and im lucky if i see it 4 times a year. She is fat and healthy and always have been. I never chase her out to check on her:hi:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
L114 are tough beasts. Have kept a number of them over the past 15 years & always the same as what others have said. Rarely see them but when I do always surprised at how large they got or how fat they are. You really don't need to worry about them as much as other plecs, this is in part to them being primarily carnivorous versus herbivorous. The importation process doesn't affect their digestion as it does with herbivores.

Yoda

Apr 13, 2011
UK
Well I finally saw my L114 last night....for a few seconds.

When I put on the lights to check on my fish before going to bed last night, it was there munching on some cucumber that I had left for my Rusty.

At least I now know it's still alive!
Being carnivorous, is it unusual for it to be eating cucumber? Or is it a sign that it isn't getting enough meaty food?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi,
I find that my carnivours also take to some vegies, so I would not worry. What do you feed him and how often ? cheers jk :thumbup:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
not all plecs stick to the rule book where eating is concerned, i've had carnivores before that loved veg, and had omnivores that wouldn't touch it, at least you know its eating and healthy

Yoda

Apr 13, 2011
UK
not all plecs stick to the rule book where eating is concerned, i've had carnivores before that loved veg, and had omnivores that wouldn't touch it, at least you know its eating and healthy
Yup, Am pleased that it's still alive!
Was worried it had died and I didn't know.

Yoda

Apr 13, 2011
UK
Hi,
I find that my carnivours also take to some vegies, so I would not worry. What do you feed him and how often ? cheers jk :thumbup:
The tank is a general community with a leaning to oddballs.

They get Tetra Prima as a staple.
Minced fish twice a week (in the evenings after lights out)
Cucumber twice a week.