Article "Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium"

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
About a year ago "N2Biomes" asked me to write an article on "aeration and oxygenation in the aquarium" for PF. I did complete an article, but due to the problems surrounding the ownership and future of PF, it never appeared.

I originally agreed to have a go at writing the article mainly because I had done some work on the biological treatment of "landfill leachates". These are basically grossly organically polluted water, with a huge "Biochemial Oxygen Demand = B.O.D.", that is the capability to use 10's or even 100's of times the amount of existing oxygen in the water.

So what you say? but this is actually very relevant to keeping Plecs, fish from warm, but highly oxygenated waters where water quality issues are some of the major problems involved in their successful care.

I didn't actually write much of the content, but cut and pasted it from a variety of sources. Therefore I'd particularly like to acknowledge "N2Biomes" for the original idea, support and encouragement, Brett - "The Skeptical Aquarist", I wish I could write as well as he does, the great "Planet Catfish" & "Loaches Online", the numberless, selfless contributors to "Wikipedia", and last, but certainly not least, our very own "Doodles" who has now spent days of her time editing the HTML, so that it can appear on this forum.

So here it is, I hope it proves useful:
http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=829

cheers Darrel