My planted tanks

-simon-

Feb 2, 2012
Tasmania
This first tank is my display tank, it has some discus and a few other little fish, no plecos yet, the next tank is my mums tank, it will soon house some common bristlenoses.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Simon, well it sure looks like you have a better green thumb than me !
Backround looks cool too ... and what kind of substrate do you have in your tank ? the dark and the light ...?
Thanks for sharing ,

Georgie

-simon-

Feb 2, 2012
Tasmania
In the top tank im using pool filter sand which has no PH buffering proprties in it, and a black quarts substrate which is for planted tanks, I have a thin layer of clay underneath the substrate, the bottom tank is common aquarium gravel with pathes of black quarts, it also has a layer of clay underneath, one key to a planted tank is to never vaccum the substrate because you will lose all your essential nutrients which are required for plant growth. And the background on the first tank is only a 2D background but looks 3D from a distance.

cableguy69846

Dec 18, 2011
Chicago, IL. USA
In the top tank im using pool filter sand which has no PH buffering proprties in it, and a black quarts substrate which is for planted tanks, I have a thin layer of clay underneath the substrate, the bottom tank is common aquarium gravel with pathes of black quarts, it also has a layer of clay underneath, one key to a planted tank is to never vaccum the substrate because you will lose all your essential nutrients which are required for plant growth. And the background on the first tank is only a 2D background but looks 3D from a distance.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. You can vacuum your substrate, you just need to be careful not to take out the substrate when you do. If you use the right substrate, you don't need to worry about losing nutrients as there will be plenty for the plants.:yes:

-simon-

Feb 2, 2012
Tasmania
well I have found that when I do vac the substrate that my plants dont grow well, yes pool filter sand isnt the best substrate on its own to grow plants but it is working so im not going to stop using it, but my next tank will be dirted.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
well I have found that when I do vac the substrate that my plants dont grow well, yes pool filter sand isnt the best substrate on its own to grow plants but it is working so im not going to stop using it,
Nice tank, one of the advantages of sand is that you don't need to vacuum the substrate, because there aren't the big gaps you get with pea gravel all the mulm, faeces and uneaten food sits on the top of the sand. You can then syphon it out from just above the substrate. Personally I like a bit of mulm and biofilm in my tanks.

The substrate will remain aerobic in planted tanks with Cryptocoryne and Amazon Sword plants, because they have huge root-systems, particularly in sand where there aren't many nutrients.

cheers Darrel

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
well i pulled out all my plants ,they were not doing well anyway, just causing rot , but they were anubius and java ferns ,so no planting necessary. I have decided rocks and wood are good enough,however , and I know this is a ''no-no'' to most aquarists here, if the dither fish start freaking out in need of some hidey areas, i have seen some silk plants (I know, it's lame but i dont have a green thumb) i may pick up a few. I am now beginning to restock my 54g slowly, so will see how things go. I will have to wait a while longer to get my new L128's ,so i am chomping at the bit, but want to do this right.

thanks for sharing

Georgie

cableguy69846

Dec 18, 2011
Chicago, IL. USA
well I have found that when I do vac the substrate that my plants dont grow well, yes pool filter sand isnt the best substrate on its own to grow plants but it is working so im not going to stop using it, but my next tank will be dirted.
Got ya. Once you go dirt, you will get addicted. Lol.