L-66 with long, forked tail(?) with pix

AquaticFrank

Nov 4, 2018
New York
I have a pair of L-66, one of which has a very dramatic forked tail (seen pictured here) and one does not. I'm perplexed by this. I doubt this is a form of sexual dimorphism...so can someone explain?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
The tail fin was damaged when younger and grow back a little odd is all. It may correct it's self over time..... but only time will tell.

HTH
Chuck

AquaticFrank

Nov 4, 2018
New York
Seriously? The sword-tail like extensions are top and bottom, darned near 2cm long, and they're perfectly tapered. If the entire tail fin were that long I'd be utterly shocked. The rest of the tail fin is completely normal and in perfect condition...no tatters whatsoever. It just seems like he has long fin extensions on the tail. I know the image isn't great (I'll try and catch him in the light) but I assure you, the tail fin is completely normal.

It's really quite beautiful!

Last edited:

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
Seriously? The sword-tail like extensions are top and bottom, darned near 2cm long, and they're perfectly tapered. If the entire tail fin were that long I'd be utterly shocked. The rest of the tail fin is completely normal and in perfect condition...no tatters whatsoever. It just seems like he has long fin extensions on the tail. I know the image isn't great (I'll try and catch him in the light) but I assure you, the tail fin is completely normal.

It's really quite beautiful!
Yes, seriously! I can see where the "trailer" is separated from the rest of the tail and is obviously not correct... If you look at a normal tail of a L66 and yours you should be able to see how yours is damaged..... not just having extra long trailers.... and from what I see in the picture it is not perfectly tapered!

AquaticFrank

Nov 4, 2018
New York
OK...thank you! Although I think it is rather becoming (looks like a lyre-tail), for the health and well-being of the fish, do you recommend that I trim it?

AquaticFrank

Nov 4, 2018
New York
OK, that's great. Nothing to do then. I think it is quite beautiful. I was just perplexed by the difference in the tails as between the two L-66 I received, and the significance of it.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. :thumbup:

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
You are welcome.... I have seen this in plecs before. Doesn't affect them at all from what I can tell and most of the time it will correct it's self over time.... but not always.

Take care,
Chuck