Random Eggs in planted tank?

Jan 7, 2014
Canandaigua, NY
Hey guys i have a 15 gallon planted tank. This morning i noticed that there were eggs attached to one of my plants. Never seen them in there before. the tank has been going for about 3 months now. In it are guppies and two bristle nose plecos.

Any i.d. would be great.

009.jpg

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
They are snail eggs of some description mate. Guppies are live bearers and your BN will spawn in a cave with Dad fanning the eggs, BN eggs will be a large yellow-orange clump.

I would snip the leaf and ditch the snails eggs as they can over run a tank quite quickly.

Last edited:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Get ontop of your snails early
Even treat the tank with a light dose
As in the future you won't be able to as the ammonia from the heap of dead snails will kill everything
Some people like snails most don't it's not worth working it out your self

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Get ontop of your snails early
Even treat the tank with a light dose
As in the future you won't be able to as the ammonia from the heap of dead snails will kill everything. Some people like snails most don't it's not worth working it out your self
Horses for courses really, I have Red Ramshorns and MTS in all my tanks (all planted), they don't eat plants and Red Ramshorns will graze black beard algae. I wouldn't ever use chemical controls, but you can always trap them if you thing you have too many. MTS are egg safe, Ramshorns will eat eggs, but don't get a chance with fish that show parental care like plecs, cichlids etc

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I find snails useful as a good indicator of water quality. Snails always try to make it to the surface before any fish show any signs of unhappiness. As soon as I see snails slightly higher than the surface such as MTS and not buried in the substrate then I know it is desperate for maintenance or possible issue.

I also would never go near chemicals I wouldn't risk it. You do so much to remove everything before adding water to the tank why then put chemicals in.

Crush ramshorns and feed to fish as free food how I got rid of all of mine.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i also would never ever use chemicals to control snails. Feed less or crush them, catch them or pick them out of the water. I find MTS usefull as they turn the soil, however remember, the more snails, then also the more poo and waste from them you will get in the tank. not good. cheers jk :thumbup: