Please welcome a Newbie

zebrastripes

Sep 7, 2010
wonder lake, il
Hi all,

I have been keeping fish for around 30 years. I have been heavily into breeding African cichlids for most of that time, but have now been bitten by the pleco bug.

May I PLEASE get some help. I just bought a "pair" -- or at least supposedly a 4 inch male and female of the L14 pleco.

I would greatly appreciate:

1. Help in identifying / sexing the male and the female. The store looked at their undersides, in front of the anal fin and said that the male had a "V" and the female doesn't. He did refer to a pleco book that stated that this is how to sex the L14s.

2. Have the L14s ever been bred in the hobby?? -- and any tips as to how to breed them.

Again, I just bought a "pair" from a local (and reputable) pet shop. I was told that they can be bred, but I can't validate that from my Google searches.

Thank you so very much! I have a lot to learn.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
hi and welcome to plecoplanet.
i dont recall seeing any reports of L014 being bred, but i'd hate to say that you are several years away from being in a postion to do so, i would expect L014 to be at least 8" or more before being mature enough to breed, and at such a small size, i'd think they would be extremely difficult to sex.
but either way, they are beautiful looking plecs, would love to see some photo's of yours

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
hi mate this link might be of some help you may of already seen it but thought id try to help.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/scobinancistrus_aureatus.php
Cheers for the link but we have an L014 profile:D

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1612

It does state in the Back to Nature book that L014 have been bred in the aquarium. There were clutches of around 150 eggs and the young hatched after 5-6 days. They fry were fed initially with artemia nauplii and then with frozens eggs(daphnia, moina, lobster eggs)