surviving albi's

albiplec

Jul 26, 2010
somerset UK
hi we are albiplec :clap:
bought three albi's (two females and one male) for our community tank.
thought they were digging pits so cleared the other fish out and left them to it. Hadn't seen male for ages so did a search. couldn't find him !!!!! last resort was to look behind the internal shaped background . Put a mirror down the back of the tank and there he was , unfortunately we didn't notice the clutch of orange eggs he was looking after !! pulled background forward to allow him to " escape" which he did reluctantly along with clouds of silt !!!!!
decided to remove background . later noticed the small group of eggs mixed with the silt on the subtrate . Panic:wb: what a dumb head I had totally wreked his " nest "
Decided to try and hatch them artificially so stood a tall glass vase (yes a vase!!!) in the tank so it sat about 1cm above the water line, directed the outlet from one of my internal canister filters into the vase and added the eggs . So there thery were swirling around in the vase in a little clump. I could not believe what happened next . within 20 mins The male albi had scooted up the side of the vase and plopped in with the eggs !!!! A coincidence I thought until I watched him do the reverse 10 minutes later . He repeated this odd journey many times over the next 3 days spending time with his two tankmates before taking up egg duty what devotion !!!!!!!!

Any hoo they hatched this morning :woohoo:
They have already Ridden the overflow from the vase and are sittingaround the intake vents of the filter which I have tuned to low to prevent fry suckage!!!!.

any tips on rearing these little survivors

Can I leave them with parents + Aunty

tank conditions temp:73f ph neutral gh slightly soft substrate; inert sand/
lots of old algae covered bogwood

two internal cannister filters
volume: 20 galls

any advice gratfully recieved