help with a pleco for my tank

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
hi,
i currently have a 300litre tank with a young oscar and some other south american cichlids. i would like a pleco but im not really sure what would be suitable for my tank, as i havn't had much experiance with plecos.
any help would be good.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
hello i would say that all the pleco range would suit your set up so go find 2 or 3 that you like and ask again to see peoples opinon on help choicing good luck
ps would they be just for looks ?

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
really? even a common? would it not takeover the tank
yeah i think mostly for looks. ive heard they are good at cleaning too but thats not what id want it for. they make a mess of the tank as well dont they? like lots of solid waste.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
most plecs produce quite a lot of waste, especially the herbivors.
try group of hypancistrus or peckoltia type maybe?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey

Do you know the water parameters and what temp you plan to keep the tank at?
Also what you feed the cichlids could have a bearing on what plecs would be suitable.

Have a look at the plec profiles(link in my siggy) and see what you like:D

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
The tank is currently set at 26ºC and the PH is about 7.2. I feed the cichlids with blood worms, prawns, cichlid pellets and sometimes insects and worms.

I’ve had a look at some of the plecs. The lemon spotted green looks quite nice, snowball, gold nugget, mango. I still quite like common ones as well. Are these suitable and does any of these plecs have any special requirements?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
300 Litres is a good size for commons but you would eventually need an even bigger tank. The lemon spotted plec is nice but can be shy, I hardly ever see mine. Nuggets can be very difficult to acclimatize and get eating so we don't usually recommend these as 'starter' plecs.

If it were me, I would look at plecs that have a diet similar to the fish you already have, maybe one of the Leporacanthicus, some of these have very nice patterns and colouration and fit the water parameters.

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/articles.php?c=114

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
what is the growth rate of the Leporacanthicus plecos? the commons have a fast growth rate dont they. i wouldnt want the oscar to outgrow the pleco and try and eat it.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Something like a Hypostomus might be a good start. Don't get quite as large as Commons but do get large enough to coexist with Oscars.

Carnivorous plecs don't necessarily do well with large carnivorous cichlids despite the diet compatibility. The reason for this is that the large cichlids are typically ravenous eaters while plecs in general are not as outgoing feeders. What often occurs in this situation is that the cichlids eat the food intended for the plecs. A better fit is a omnivore who can hold its own with the cichlids. Being omnivores they can take some meaty foods without a great risk of intestinal distress & you can supplement their feedings with veggies with less risk of the cichlids eating the veggies.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Something like a Hypostomus might be a good start. Don't get quite as large as Commons but do get large enough to coexist with Oscars.

Carnivorous plecs don't necessarily do well with large carnivorous cichlids despite the diet compatibility. The reason for this is that the large cichlids are typically ravenous eaters while plecs in general are not as outgoing feeders. What often occurs in this situation is that the cichlids eat the food intended for the plecs. A better fit is a omnivore who can hold its own with the cichlids. Being omnivores they can take some meaty foods without a great risk of intestinal distress & you can supplement their feedings with veggies with less risk of the cichlids eating the veggies.
Good point. Maybe a common would be the best choice as they grow fast as well or an L001(goldspot), these have loads of character.

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
so that would outgrow the tank quite quickly then? yeah ill have a look at L001s, they do look very nice. and they dont grow as big as the commons?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
so that would outgrow the tank quite quickly then? yeah ill have a look at L001s, they do look very nice. and they dont grow as big as the commons?
L001 only get in the 12" (30cm) range and grow a bit slower than Commons or Sailfins/Gibbys.
A well cared for common/sailfin can reach growth rates of 2" per month so it doesn't take them long to outrow tanks.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
All three should be fairly easy to get hold of in the UK though. If you wanted to start off with one full grown though then try some of the pet shops or even Maidenhead Aquatics as many people dump these plecs when they realise the cute little algae eater is no longer little.

adam123

Jun 19, 2010
newcastle
the oscar and the other fish in the tank are still quite small, 3" at the most so a young pleco would be ok. a synodontis catfish wouldnt pick on the plec would it?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Depending upon the species, Synos can be down right nasty.
There are many synos which can be housed with plecs as their water requirements are similar. Some though are totally unsuitable.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
My opinion would be L001 Diet is compatible as well as the growth your looking for they also tend to hold there own more so than the other two common species, i found when i kept them to be quite veracious feeders.
HTH