Tanks

Amy

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
I was just wondering if most of you keep your plecos in a species tank setup only or do you have other fish with them??

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Depends upon intent & species.
I only keep them in community as I am not in a position to breed them, thus they are fine in the company of other fish. Many interested in breeding them will house a single-species group together as it gives the best chance of getting a spawning without outside interference. Finally, some species such as Zebras don't tend to do exceptionally well with other plecs as they can be somewhat timid & don't compete well for food. In this case a species-only tank is a good option though the addition of other non-plecs/catfish is another option.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Exactly as Lorne says, it all depends on the species and your intentions with them, i have some community tanks and others that are plec only depending on whether i want to breed them or not

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Depends upon intent & species.
I only keep them in community as I am not in a position to breed them, thus they are fine in the company of other fish. Many interested in breeding them will house a single-species group together as it gives the best chance of getting a spawning without outside interference. Finally, some species such as Zebras don't tend to do exceptionally well with other plecs as they can be somewhat timid & don't compete well for food. In this case a species-only tank is a good option though the addition of other non-plecs/catfish is another option.
:goodpost:

Couldnt have said it better myself:D

Cheers

thegeeman

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Same here i have both comunity and species tanks comunity is more a feature tank as the other is just sand, caves and wood and it also looks fishless as pretty much all the plecs are in the caves or hiding! its nice to own both in my view :)

titan

May 26, 2010
west midlands
i now have all my plecos together in my community tank, its a 300l, i have 2 adult silver dollars, 4 columbian tetras, 4 phantom tetras, 2 small bala sharks and 7 assorted corys. my plecos are 2 lda33 snowballs approx 3 inches, 1 gold nugget also 3 inches, 1 l066 king tiger about 2 inches and 3 l34 leopard frogs about an inch and a half. my plecs get along with no problems at all due to the fact i have many caves and hiding places for them. i find this makes them more active as it makes them feel more secure. i find that if you dont have many hiding places in the aquarium then the pleco becomes reclusive.