Quick question safe to water change after a spawn?

Allfinsfishy

Feb 22, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hi all :)

I'm 4 days overdue for a water change but my albinos have just
Spawned a massive clutch looks to be at least 150 eggs
And I desperately need to water change and I was hoping to treat my water for any parasites like I usually do just to be safe with big L ?
Recommend or not ??

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I do water changes regardless of what has spawned. I dont gravel vac around the logs etc but I still freshen up the water with the same sized changes. Not sure about the effects of treating with meds though.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I was hoping to treat my water for any parasites like I usually do just to be safe with big L ? Recommend or not ??
I'd carry on with the water changes, but I definitely wouldn't add medications on a regular basis.

I'd only ever treat symptoms, and even then only when I had some idea what the problem was.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would carry on like normal. do not make a big fuss about it, just be a little more gentile. cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Yes do water change but try and have fresh water at about the same temp so less shock. Do not need to treat for paracites, that does not need to be done very often.

Allfinsfishy

Feb 22, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Thanks guys!

Did water change as per normal.
And taken advice on board for treating.
Just tend to get a cautious sometimes I freak myself out
When I don't need to so first thing I think to do even if I don't need
Is treat the water.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
too much treatment for water is not healthy for fish, so keep it limited and try and use natural meds if you really need to. best thing you can do to keep fish healthy is plenty of water changes (not big ones) and quality food.