All assigned numbers:
N/A
Name:
Common Whiptail Catfish
Photos:

SDC13128.jpgSDC13131.JPG

SDC13129.jpgSDC13130.JPG
Appearance:
There is a long filament exteding from the top of the caudal fin, their colour varies widely from shades of brown to grey.
Compatibility:
Peacefull, does not harm anything in the past i have kept it with reed fish climbing perch bichir and all sorts of other fish and seem not to bother them and they do not bother the catfish.
Sexing and Breeding:
To breed them the trigger is cucumber and bloodworm with the water been cool.
The key is a pvc pipe around 1 inch in wide and around 6 - 8 inch in long. Females are have a wider head and males have bristles on the side of the head and on the pectoral fins.
Diet:
Cucumber,wafers, frozen food and pellets
Water parameters:
Well oxygented and clean with regular water changes. Cooler water is better for them I keep mine around 26C. The water in Selby is around 7.2 and thats what they are kept in i have also had them in harder water than 7.2 with no ill effects.
Max Size:
6 inch - 15 cm

Additional Comments:
I have kept this wonderfully fish in many times of setups and they seem very hardy fish.
price for this great fish is arounf £8 each.
They prefer a sandy bottom to a gravel bottom as they like to hide themselfs and although it is a soft water species it will adapt to hard water. All in all this is a great fish for anybody.
All this if from how I got mine to breed I hope it is useful and more photos will be on when they breed again

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey, Thanks for the profile. Maybe you could add a little more info like water parameters?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
ThaSuper profile

that was a good read for the basics, just what I needed due to time restaurants. Haven't found much on here for whips so was great to find. Any one any links for whip info? Great to be bsc jk :)

Reactions: johnbetta397

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
the info is spot on if i could just add some thing to it for breeding them id use pvc pipe that isnt to wide a bit bigger wigth than a bristle nose breeding log with a bit sand papper to roughen in side it for the eggs to stick better to and block off 1 end the whip tails will love it with their green eggs sticking to it