Breeding L134's

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
I have a group of 8 L134's and have had no luck getting them to breed. If you have had success in breeding them, would you mind sharing the secrets of your success in this thread. Thanks
Water temp:
PH:
Subsrated:
Wood/decor:
Tank size:
Number of adults per tank:
Food:
Water changes per week:
Amount of water changed:
Any RO water used:
Any information would be helpful.

Last edited:

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hi buddy, Well mine haven't yet bred for me although have for the previous owner. I have done a lot of research and red a lot about breeding these magnificent creatures so below.

Temp: 80 Deg Fahrenheit Although for breeding they do like warmer water so around 82.5-84 Deg Fahrenheit.

PH: Not really a major as many have bred at 6.5 and others at 7-7.2 - So long as you can keep it stable and around the 6.5 - 7.2, whichever your areas water falls between you should be fine.

Substrate: You dont have to have any if you dont like. Makes it easier to clean although many including myself use Silica sand Also known as Pool filter sand. This is inert so wont affect the water and I have found my l134s love to dig around the entrance of their caves to give them a sense of security.

Wood/Decor: Nothing major, Have a few nice pieces of driftwood in the tank and if possible a couple of pieces of natural slate (Tiles or roofing) and use the slate to put over the caves to create an overhang. Again they love this and gives them some security.

Tank size: For your group I would go with at least a 4x2x2ft although a 5x2x2ft would be preferred. As males can become aggressive at times although I have not noticed this with mine. Can I also ask what is your ratios?

Number of adults per tank: Well kind of follows above comment in regards to tank size.

Food: these Ls love a variety of food and prefer meaty foods although will chow down the occasional zucchini or cucumber or even algae wafer. I feed mine frozen bloodworms 1 per week and then alternate on the other days with Sera viformo and NLS cichlid pellets. Others feed shrimp pellets, freeze dried worms and shrimp, Tetra colourbits. I also leave 1 day where I don't feed them, that day is up to you. Some don't feed on the day they do the maintenance including WC although others like me do it whenever as long as its once per week.

WC per week: This depends at this stage I am doing 1 x 30-40% WC once per week on a Saturday (My maintenance day) But to induce spawning after letting them settle in you can begin daily WC @ 15% or even 2 x per week at 30%. To be honest it varies with WC as it depends how your fish react. Some will react very well to 2 WC per week where others will need 3-4 per week but smaller amounts.

Amount of water changed: Mentioned above

Hope this helps for now champ :D any more questions feel free to ask. Basically I am still in the stages of letting mine settle in. Once they are settled Im going to start daily WC as well as start dropping temp in the tank and slowly over a couple of days let it raise back up. Its good to let them settle first. Try and keep peeking on them to a minimum and just give them their space. when they are good to go they will as long as food is good and water is immaculate you will be fine.

Good luck :D

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yes very true although many take leaving them alone very differently. I would also like to know by what people mean leaving them alone? I for instance only go in to feed them and do WC weekly thats it. other than that there isn't much movement around their area.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it would be good to know your ratio, the sizes and also how long you have had them. What size is your tank- any chance of a photo ? Like most Ls, they prefer a quiet place ie maybe not the tank in the living room and footsteps etc. A lot of people also shine torches daily into caves etc, that is also not advisable. I would also cut a piece of cardbord height 20cm and stick it on the front of your tank from the bottom. cheers jk :thumbup:

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Thanks for all the information! I've just posted a picture of all 8 in the pleco id section of the forum. I've been trying to sex these for a while now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think that I may have 3 males and 5 females, but I'm just not sure! It's been 9 months since I last tried to have these sexed. Most people said that they needed to mature a little more at that time. Now the larger ones are nearly 3 inches long. If you can help me out, please look at the pic in the "Pleco ID" section of this forum. Thanks

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
Apparently the key is to leave them alone, as soon as i did that they bred for the first time, along with a few others here i am sure.

Regards,

Roman

For a couple of years I drove myself crazy reading and trying different things. In the end they finally started after I gave up and left them alone. Tank got filthy, very few water changes/filter changes, just feeding.

Plecomate gives some good advice though. Mine breed in the caves that are in the path of a good flow as well as having covered entrances. Keep mine around 81º-82º with lots of aeration.

Your guys look a little young. Plus it's the end of the breeding season for them here in the US. Most of my breeding, as well as others usually happens between March and August

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
I keep my tanks the same temp and ph all year long, and my bristlenose pleco's breed all year long. Will the L134's not do the same once they start breeding, or will they only breed between March and August, even with the tank parameters remaining the same?

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Depends mate, Although generally they tend to breed in their respective breeding season, whether its march-August or February-November or what ever it may be. Although they still do breed outside of their season but batches are not as big and spawning is less often as opposed to every 4 or so weeks.

You can try putting them through the dry and rainy season and see how you go.

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
It's sounds to me like they can breed at anytime with the right conditions. March to August and September to March from two of the above comments. That sounds promising! Thanks for the information!
I'm ordering 6 more 2 1/2 inch wild caught L134's today from Snookin in Florida. That will bring my group up to 14 L134's. Can't wait to know their gender. Hopefully within the next year they will be breeding!

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Correct, It depends on your fish and what season they are used to breeding in. Your fish might be season from February to September or they might season from september to march.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
I might be nuts but I tend to believe the seasons have an affect on them as well, regardless of how you keep your tank. This might explain why people in different parts of the world have different breeding seasons.

I keep my tanks consistent year round. Temp, lights, everything. My guys usually start breeding in February and (for the most part) stop around the beginning of Sept. The few other people I know of who breed L134 here in the states have roughly the same "breeding season". But like Plecomate said, they will breed outside of their season.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
Guess I never added the info you originally requested.

Water temp: 81-82
PH: not a clue. I never check parameters
Substrate: half the tank has CaribSea Peace River Gravel, the other half has an ugf with a general small/medium natural type gravel
Wood/decor: slate, few live plants and a couple of pieces of wood. Wood is not needed, it's just for looks
Tank size: 55g
Number of adults per tank: 10
Food: flake food that makes it to the bottom, shrimp pellets, carnivore pellets. Also once in a while pleco wafers, blood worms, brine shrimp and Spectrum Thera+A. Lots of meaty stuff, my guys wont touch veggies, at all.
Water changes per week: 1-2
Amount of water changed: 10-20%
Any RO water used: I pretty much use RO exclusively when doing water changes during "breeding season"
Any information would be helpful.
M/F ration: no idea, I respect their privacy ;)
Caves: 16 caves of varying shapes. This is whatever works for you. Some will say have less so they complete for the best cave, some will say the more the better... it all depends on what works for you. Just remember, these guys will get very territorial and can kill each other so if you're going to go with fewer caves make sure you have plenty of other hiding spots.
Flow/filtration: 2 powerheads positioned at the bottom near the gravel and a couple of sponge filters attached to the ugf, Emperor 400, Rena 400

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Thanks for the information! The water here in Tennessee has got to be some of the hardest in the world! The ph of the water, coming out of the kitchen sink, is 7.8. I will take your advice and use RO when they are ready to breed. The bristlenose, on the other hand, love the hard water here. They will breed at the drop of a hat. I have 2 fresh batches of eggs now.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
yep, bristlenose seem to just need another bristlenose and not much else. I trade in my bristlenose when they get mature to avoide getting stuck with a ton of fry.

Fishbotherer

Aug 22, 2016
Brisbane
From what i read here in the forum on the fish its always found in open stony areas.. be it fast or slow moving water. and always clearwater :) but mostly in flowing sections of river?
Only a beginer myself :)

marclazaroo

Sep 5, 2015
Singapore
hey i am trying to breed my L134 as well, recently acquired a 3M2F colony with 2 clear females, i put in 6 caves, however all of them are caving.. could it be a case of all males? or do L134 females cave as well?