L333 breed in bare bottom tank?

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
Is anyone breeding L333s in a bare bottom tank?

I have a bare bottom 40 gallon breeder that I use as a grow out tank. There is a ton of wood as well as about 10 caves. It's been filled with guppys, BN fry, L134s and half a dozen L333s for about 7-8 months. I've seen the L134s and some of the larger BN in and out of caves, but never the L333s. If fact, I've never seen them drop down from the wood, which I have resting on top of the caves.

A few weeks ago I pulled all the L134s, which began to breed, and about a week ago I removed all but 2, 1" BNs. This left just the guppys and L333s, yet they still do not come down from the wood. They are just under 2 years old, and at least 3".

In comparison, I have a 15 gallon tank with substrate, wood, and caves. There are some guppys, 3 L333s (same age/size as above) and 2 L201s. One of the L333s and one of the L201s are caved all the time, guessing they are males and the others are females.

I'm sure people are breeding L333s in bare bottom tanks, but for some reason mine won't come down out of the wood. :dk: