174 breeding success at last

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
me and a good mate went in together and bought some adult 174's quite some time ago and previous owner said he had them for a few years also bought as adults... but had no success breeding them and had had enough and wanted to recoup his money and try breed some 046's.....

anyway good news is last year late september they spawned... over the moon we resisted the temptation to remove the eggs... until one day the male let us look in the cave and we saw wrigglers.... so excited we couldnt wait any longer and took the fry... very healthy wrigglers and the male didnt let them go easy so it took a good half hour to get them out without damaging the fry as the male chose a cave without a removable lid.... :woohoo: we got 15 wrigglers at first count... later revised to 16.... but somewhere along the line one went missing... suspect it jumped back into the main tank.... so we have 15 fry growing up nicely...
all the literature we could find on the 174s suggest they have small spawns and the fry are slow growing... so 16 is a huge spawn and they are already just over 2cm so they are growing quite quick... quicker than 046's but slower than 333's.... below are some pics my mate took....

couple adults

dad with a wriggler

some progressive fry shots

i will post some more pics of fry when i take them... hopefully tomorrow or next day i will get my young fella to take some ultra clear pics of the fry with his fang dango camera!!!

we will be selling all 15 fry as my mate would like to get some $$$ back on the initial cost of the adults (horrendously high price we paid but theres hardly any of these around and definitely rare to see one offered for sale so we paid the asking price)
i would like to keep the first spawn in case adults dont spawn again or something happens and they die!!! but unfortunately when you buy fish with a mate and you decide on a deal before buying you have to stick to the plan :cry:

so im taking any expressions of interest if you want to pm me and discuss a possible purchase when the fry reach 3-3.5cm.... asking price is 1.5k each... considering how much we paid for adults and how rare these fish are we decided on this price after many hours of arguing and drinking....
i would like to see someone buy either 5 , 10 or 15 to grow up as a group for future breeding.... but taking into account the price i dont think anyone will want all 15... so i'm hoping groups of 5 will be sold...

currently feeding 4 times a day on baby brine , cyclops , daphnia and shrimp pellets... planning to introduce frozen brine shrimp as soon as their mouths are big enough to eat them....

hope everybody is as excited as we are :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Well done mate! Hopefully they keep going now for you
It's a shame you can't keep, especially as your adults would be quite a few years old.
I literally don't have the tank space but will definitely grab a colony if they breed again & I'm in my new place

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Very nice Johnno, Its always good to see some people are willing to spend big on fish like this with the intention of breeding. Even better when things work out and the fry become available to all of us.
Definately not many of these beauties around in oz.
Well done!
I'm guessing the adults are stunning under some good lighting?<3

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
pics are here

174 fry pics..... finally got some half decent pics...

some with flash on turned out to be better pics :)

looks like their neighbours are crabby cause they arent the centre of attention anymore :)

hope you enjoy the pics - beautiful little fish :thumbup:

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
L174 is a deep water pleco (found at around 50ft deep), part of the reason why it is so expensive and so few in the trade. Probably the first to go extinct since the Xingu water level after the dam has dropped considerably. Maybe there will be some north of the dam and benefit from it. Only time will tell.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
looking at 1500 a pop... prefer to sell in groups of 5... to promote the chances of growing them up and breeding them and branching off some different blood lines for the future... as far as i know no-one else has bred these :) to be honest i dont really know anyone local with these but have heard there are a few over east... you did use to see odd 1 or 2 for sale years ago round 5-6cm for 2-2.5k each...
but im pretty sure once they hit 3-3.5cm their growth rate will pick up... the ol bigger mouth - eat more - and grow quicker cycle :)

looking very nice at the moment - i must take some more pics and post em up.... if anyones seriously interested in some send me a pm and we'll talk a bit more :thumbup:

Allfinsfishy

Feb 22, 2014
Sydney, Australia
When you say first and ont batch do u mean no more after the batch that will be avail.
I'd like to get some but would like to wait till I get back from overseas definitely for wanna come home to a loss of theses guys and default should upload recen pics would love to see and congrats on te breed that's excellent to ear your doing such a tops job!

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
As far as I can tell, yours are the real 174. Someone was selling some L174 like in US, but the spots are wrong. Too bad you are across the pond or I would have pick them all up. Group of 5 is really abit too small to guarantee a good breeding group. 10 would be more like it.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i send fish all round australia... i cant see why they cant be shipped to the USA - unless of course you have quarantine conditions that wouldnt be suitable...

it would be good to have a group of 10 but im not too sure many people would be able to afford it... without their missus removing a testicle or 2 lol :)... definitely want breeders to have these fish not collectors....

groups of 5 would be good to establish a seperate line - theres no choice you have to breed brother and sister first time but second time around you could breed cousins together and then maybe swing their fry back into main line...
or breed brother sister couple times then back across cousins to keep genetics as good as possible... but most importantly establish more of these fish in the hobby so they arent lost forever....

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
When you say first and only batch do u mean no more after the batch that will be avail.
well only had the one spawn of 15 to start with and we'd like to recoup some money spent on the adults... no idea on the age of the adults and if they'll continue spawning or not... had another small spawn of 6 but im definitely gonna be keeping them....