Where do I start ?

MpimbwePete

Dec 30, 2012
Central Coast NSW Australia
Am very impressed with this forum - but as a real bona fide newbie who just loves all these splendid little catfish - I am struggling with these mysterious L numbers. They remind me of that old joke about the Comedians Club when the old stagers just yelled out the number of a joke and everyone (the insiders) fell about in hysterics.I grasp the theory but WHERE on earth does one start to find out in simple terms WHAT these catfish are. I have several little plecs but they have been described as "Tiger Plecs" -"Clown Plecs" "Gold Clown Plecs"etc etc and match up to many different "L" numbers. With the deepest respect where can I find out what is going on with the naming. What book or site would you grizzled old veterans recommend ? Also the pictures for each number seem to be different, is there a lot of variety in coloration ?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
:welcome: and glad you found us. Yes the world of L s is a complex one indeed, however there is plenty of material to be found here to help you, if not then just post any question you might have . Cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, :welcome: and as Pirarucu said, check out the profile site, or you can post some pictures on the ID site ,if you want to know the L#'s for you plecs. Then you can zero in on their specifc needs. :hi:

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Welcome aboard Pete.
You will find the books Pirarucu recommends are a brilliant resource and will help you alot, definitely worth purchasing. If you have trouble finding them i know they are available online from Age of Aquariums at a reasonable price.

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Not in summer :D
Still have to use them in winter in s.e. Queensland at least but nothing compared to what it used to be like in miserable old Melbourne.