Breeding and careing for my babys

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
Hi all

I have a shortfine male BN pleco and 2 Longfine female BN pleco's.
They have started to mate and i am so excited :)

this is there 3rd batch

I have a 70L tank with a few other fish in it and large rocks as gravil

i do have a few questions though cause i am looning into breeding them.

I was wondering if maybe it would be worthwhile getting a small baby tank to but the male in while is is fanning his eggs and to allow the babbys to grow?
As i understand waterchanges for the babbys are very important close to every day but with all the rocks i am worrys i will kill some and + i close to never see them.

OR

I could just get some new gravil for the tank.
All the info you can give me about the breeding process whould be great

also how long will plecos live and breed for. And do i have to worry about inbreeding? as i have kept 1 female from the first hatch.
Thanks all michael

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Is there anyway of getting a photo of the tank?
What filtration do you have?
What are you feeding them?

The problem with removing the rocks would be you would also be removing any beneficial bacteria that is on them, this could cause at the minimum a mini cycle which wouldn't be good for baby fish.

Water changes are important especially in a tank thats fairly small

The majority of plecos should live 10+ years, im not sure how many years they will breed for but they need rest periods. The male would breed with the female from first batch, so would it would be advisable to keep them separated.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi, its exciting to breed plecs but sad if problems arise. as they breed more the tank will crowd and they may get short of oxygen, so when they are a few months old you need to sell them on or get another tank. I would not move dad and babies to another smaller tank, the different water etc may put him off and small tanks are more unstable for ph.
good luck

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks all
i will look into getting some photos up.
Just checked my nest again and the 2ed cluch of eggs are hatching sooooooo happy :)

I did remove some rocks last night and all seems well atm. But i have noticed that the ph keeps going u on occasions.

I have a aque 1 fish tank with the top filter. also has thos white round things for good bactera :)

and yes when the plecos get a bit bigger i will sell them :) prob on gumtree. how much should i be selling them for ??
any other idears where i could sell them ?

AND I FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE FEMALES ARE LONFINE ALBENOS :D.
so i got little babys black and white :D.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Keep an eye on the ph and make sure you do regular water changes. also you could invest in ammonia and nitrite test kits to help you keep an eye on the parameters.

I believe petlink is an option for selling or the classifieds here